- recipe by Raji Ramakrishnan submitted on 07-25-2012
(Tarboosani Dosai, Tarbooz ka Utappa, Watermelon Pancakes)
Rice - 1 cup
Grated Watermelon (white portion) - 2 cups
Green Chillies - 2
Cumin Seeds - 1/4 tsp
Asafoetida - a pinch
Black pepper powder (optional)
1. Wash and soak the rice for 2-3 hrs.
2. Grate the white portion of water melon. Squeeze the water out of the water melon and keep aside.
3. Drain the rice and grind it along with green chilly, asafoetida and the water squeezed out of the melon to a smooth paste.
4. Add the grated water melon and mix well. You will get a thick batter like idli batter.
5. Mix black pepper powder (optional). Allow to ferment for 4-5 hours.(You can make dosas immediately also but it tastes good if it is little bit sour).
6. Heat the non stick tava. When it becomes hot apply oil and rub it with a piece of onion.
7. Pour one laddle of batter and spread little bit. Put one tsp oil.
8. When the bottom side is cooked, flip to cook the other side also. Pour one tsp oil again. Cook the same till you get brown spots on both the sides.
You cannot make this dosa as you make the the normal dosa. The structure will be somewhat like uttappa.
Serve hot with any chutney. If it becomes cold, the taste is different.