- Submitted by Dahlia on 1st Mar 2016
(Breakfast Parfait With Wheat Berry And Yogurt)
Ever since I started this website, I always look out for new ingredients to experiment with. I enjoy grocery shopping and often go aisle by aisle just looking out for any new products. Whenever I find something, I just grab a pack. It’s a thrill for me to investigate about ingredients that I am not familiar with. I try to google and read many article and recipes using that. Finally, I try to use it in my Indian cooking with familiar spices.
Wheat berries are the star of the show today. It’s not an unfamiliar ingredient to Indians. However, very few would have actually cooked with it. Mostly Indians buy wheat berries and take it to the flour mill (chakki) and make atta out of it. It is then used in making many roti varieties.
Recently there was a cooking competition in our apartment. The theme given was wheat. When I was thinking about what to make, many recipes were coming across my mind. Being a food blogger, I wanted to make something unique. Thinking in that angle, I decided to make something with wheat berries. Wheat berries are mostly cooked and used to make salads. It can also be sprouted to make it healthier. I decided to make a wheat-yogurt parfait since it looks so pretty. I’ve already shared the recipe of granola berry parfait. The dish is super easy to make, very satisfying, filling, looks pretty and has all the healthy ingredients in it.. Wheat has a chewy and nutty texture which compliments very well with the creamy yogurt and the soft fruits. Guess what? I did win the competition. So you too try this at home and leave your comments.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
- Wheat Berries – 1 cup
- Hung Curd or Greek Yogurt – 1.5 cup
- Flax seeds – 1 tbsp
- Walnuts – 2-3 tbsp
- Sugar/ Honey/ Brown sugar/ Jaggery – 4 tbsp (or to taste)
- Apples, Bananas, Mixed berries – 1 cup (chopped)
- If you have time, sprout the wheat berries. For that you have to soak the berries overnight, tie it in a kitchen towel and leave it in a warm place for couple of day. You will see small sprouts coming out. These days you get wheat sprouts in super markets too. If you want to make this dish immediately, proceed without sprouting.
- Cook the wheat berries or wheat sprouts in a large pot filled with water and cook over medium heat for half an hour or till it gets softer. You can even pressure cook it for 8 whistles.
- In the meantime, prepare the curd. Hang it in a muslin cloth or drain in a sieve for couple of hours in the refrigerator. This will remove most of the moisture from it and you will get thick curd. Alternatively, you can use Greek Yogurt.
- Mix 2 tbsp of sugar/honey with the curd and keep it ready.
- Chop the fruits that you have on hand or those which are in season. I made it with apples and strawberries. Just add few drops of lemon juice and toss it to prevent discoloration.
- Open the cooker and drain out the excess liquid. Mix the wheat berries with flax seeds, chopped walnuts and 2 tbsp of sugar/ honey/ brown sugar / jaggery and keep aside.When I made, I had mixed up some palm jaggery while the wheat berries were still hot. That's why the berries look so dark brown.
- Now layer it up in a glass cup like a parfait. Take a glass and add 1 tbsp of the wheat berries. Next add 1 tbsp of the sweetened curd followed by 1 tbsp of fruits. Repeat this until you reach the top of the glass.
- I like to garnish with some wheat berries and a slice of fruit. Finally drizzle 1 tsp of honey on top. Enjoy.
- This is a very healthy and tasty snack. It is so filling since it contains all the nutrients needed. You can assemble it in the night and enjoy it for breakfast.
- If you do not have the patience to layer like a parfait, just mix up everything in a bowl and serve like a wheat berry fruit salad.
More International Breakfast Recipes