- Submitted by Dahlia on 9th Aug 2009
(Chicken Vindallo, Chicken Vindalho, Chicken Vindaalo, Easy Chicken Vindaloo)
Chicken - 1 lb (cut into chunks)
- Potatoes - 2 (cut into big chunks) - optional
- Coconut milk - 1 cup
- Salt - as needed
- Oil - 1 tbsp
Fried Onions (Birista) - 1 cup
- Vinegar - 1 or 2 tsp
- Ginger - 1.5 " piece
- Garlic -6-8 cloves
- Dry red Chillies - 5-8 (or use chilly powder as needed)
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds - 1/4 tsp
- Coriander seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Cinnamon stick - 1 small piece
- Cloves - 3
You can use store bought fried onions for this recipe. If not, slice the onions and deep fry in oil till it turns crispy and brown in color.
- Grind together all the ingredients under 'to grind' adding water as needed to make a very smooth paste.
- Mix this paste with the chicken and let it marinate for at least half an hour.
- Heat oil in a pan and add the marinated chicken along with the masala (marinade).
- Add the coconut milk, potatoes and required salt to this. Add more water if you want more gravy.
- Cover and cook till the chicken is done and oil separates from the gravy.
- The fried onions and the red chillies give a bright red color to the gravy. So it does not need any garnishing.
More Chicken Curry / Gravy Recipes