- Submitted by Dahlia on 27th Oct 2007
(Roasted Coconut Chicken Curry, Kozhi Kulambu, South Indian Chicken Curry, Curry Kuzhambu)
Chicken curry with roasted coconut is other wise called as varutharacha kozhi kuzhambu in Kerala and southern part of Tamilnadu. This is one among the basic chicken gravy recipe. In this style of preparation, grated coconut is roasted in oil along with some other spices. It is then ground to a smooth paste and added to the gravy. The ground roasted coconut gives a wonderful flavor, deep color and texture to the chicken curry. This is usually made on sundays for breakfast with some tiffin or for lunch with rice. Though there are other types of chicken curry made, this one is the most common one and liked by many.
You can use this same recipe to make turkey curry as well. If using, turkey you will have to cook it a little longer. Especially during festival days like Christmas and Easter, Turkey curry is made. Do try this this week end and enjoy with your favorite tiffin.
Recipe for Varutharacha Chicken Curry
Preparation Time : 15 minutes
Cooking Time : 20 minutes
Serves : 3-4
- Chicken -1 lb (1/2 kg)
- Onion - 1 big (cut lengthwise)
- Tomato - 2 (diced or pureed)
- Ginger garlic paste - 1 tsp
- Chicken masala - 1 tbsp
- Salt - to taste
- Oil - 2 tbsp
- Cumin seeds - ¼ tsp
- Coriander leaves - handful (for garnishing)
- Red Chili powder - 2 tsp
- Coriander powder - 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder - ¼ tsp
- Ginger Garlic Paste - 1/4 tsp
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Salt - ½ tsp
- Coconut grated - 3-4 tbsp
- Shallots (Pearl onions, Sambar Onions) - 4
- Curry leaves - 6
- Dry red chillies - 3
- Whole Peppercorns - 2 tsp
- Fennel Seeds - 1 tsp
- Whole Garam Masala - 1 cinnamon, 3 cloves, 3 cardamom
- Wash and cut chicken (or turkey) in small size pieces.
- Take a deep bowl mix chilly powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, salt, garam masala, ginger garlic paste, lemon juice and make a paste.
- Add chicken (or turkey) pieces to this and rub to coat the masala to all sides of chicken. Let this marinate for at least half an hour in the refrigerator.
- Now heat oil in a kadai or deep sauce pan and fry the ingredients under 'To Grind' on medium flame for about 1 minute or until it turns brown and gives out a nice aroma.
- After it cools grind it into a fine paste with little water. (If you are in a hurry, You can grind these without frying.)
- Now take the same kadai, heat some oil, add cumin seeds and curry leaves and let it splutter.
- Add onions and fry for few minutes till it browns.
- Next add the ginger-garlic paste and saute until the raw smell vanishes.
- Now add the tomato paste and saute until everything becomes a paste.
- Add the coconut paste, required salt and chicken masala.
- Now add the marinated chicken and fry it for 2 minutes.
- Add required quantity of water.
- Cover and cook for 15 minutes until the chicken is thoroughly cooked. Simmer for few minutes till oil floats on top.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and split chillies.
Serving Varutharacha Kozhi Curry
- This yummy chicken (or turkey) curry tastes great with white rice and all tiffin varieties like idli, dosa, chapati, roti, parotta, appam, idiyappam, pathiri etc..
- As mentioned in the recipe steps, you can use turkey meat instead of chicken to prepare Roasted Coconut Turkey Curry (varutharacha vaan kozhi kuzhambu).
More Chicken Recipes