- submitted by Dahlia on 10-27-2007
(Chicken Curry, Chicken Kulambu, South Indian Chicken Curry, Curry Chicken)
- Chicken -1 lb (1/2 kg)
- Onion - 1 big (cut lengthwise)
- Tomato - 2 (diced or pureed)
- Ginger garlic paste - 1 tsp
- Chicken masala - 1 tbsp
- Salt - to taste
- Oil - 2 tblsp
- Cumin seeds - ¼ tsp
- Coriander leaves - handful (for garnishing)
- Chilly powder - 2 tsp
- Coriander powder - 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder - ¼ tsp
- Ginger Garlic Paste - 1/4 tsp
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Salt - ½ tsp
- Coconut grated - 3 Tblsp
- Shallots (Pearl onions, Sambhar Onions) - 4
- Curry leaves - 6
- Dry red chillies - 3
- Whole Peppercorns - 2 tsp
- Fennel Seeds - 1 tsp
- Whole Garam Masala - 1 cinnamon, 3 cloves, 3 cardamom
- Wash and cut chicken in small size pieces.
- Take a deep bowl mix chilly powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, salt, garam masala, ginger garlic paste, lemon juice and make a paste.
- Add chicken pieces to this and rub to coat the masala to all sides of chicken. Let this marinate for at least half an hour in the refrigerator.
- Now heat oil in a kadai or deep sauce pan and fry the ingredients under 'To Grind' on medium flame for about 1 minute or until it turns brown and gives out a nice aroma.
- After it cools grind it into a fine paste with little water. (If you are in a hurry, You can grind these without frying.)
- Now take the same kadai, heat some oil, add cumin seeds and curry leaves and let it splutter.
- Add onions and fry for few minutes till it browns.
- Next add the ginger-garlic paste and saute until the raw smell vanishes.
- Now add the tomato paste and saute until everything becomes a paste.
- Add the coconut paste, required salt and chicken masala.
- Now add the marinated chicken and fry it for 2 minutes.
- Add required quantity of water.
- Cover and cook for 15 minutes until the chicken is thoroughly cooked. Simmer for few minutes till oil floats on top.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and split chillies.
Other Chicken Recipes