- submitted by Dahlia on 03-30-2011
(Ulli Vada, Vengaya Pakoda, Ullipaya Pokodi, Onion Fritters)
Onion - 2
Gram Flour (Besan) - 1.5 cup or as needed
Rice Flour - 1/2 cup
Green Chillies - 3 (sliced) / Red Chilly Powder - 1 tsp
Curry Leaves - handful (chopped)
Cashews - handful (chopped)
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Asafoetida - a pinch
Salt - as needed
Oil - for deep frying
1. Heat the oil in a kadai for deep frying.
2. Make thin slices of the onions and sprinkle some salt on it.
3. Add the chopped curry leaves, cumin seeds and cashews.
4. Add asafoetida, chilly powder (or green chillies), rice flour and the gram flour to this.
5. Add 1 or 2 tblsp of the hot oil along with this and mix everything together.
6. The salt draws out the moisture from the onions. If neededJust sprinkle few drops of water and make a dough.
7. Pinch a small portion of the dough and drop it in the medium hot oil.
8. Fry till golden brown.
- Serve this with hot chai as a snack.
- You can also serve this as a sidedish with any variety rice.
- The left overs can be used to make kadi pakodi or pakoda mor kulambu.