- submitted by Dahlia on 12-23-2009
(Peerkangai Eral Thokku, Turai aur chingri ki sabzi, Ridgegourd Prawns Curry)
Ridgegourd - 1 (chopped)
Shrimp - 1/2 lb (cleaned and deveined)
Onion - 2 (chopped)
Tomato - 2 (chopped)
Green Chilly - 1 (minced)
Garlic - 3-4 (minced)
Ginger - 1/2 " piece (minced)
Chilly Powder - 1 tsp
Corriander Powder - 1.5 tsp
Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp
Cumin seeds - 1/4 tsp
Curry Leaves - 1 spring
Cilantro - for garnish
Oil - 2 tblsp
Salt - as needed
1. Heat oil in a pan and splutter the mustard seeds, cumin seeds and curry leaves.
2. Add the finely chopped garlic and ginger and fry for a minute. The flame should be in medium low to prevent the ginger and garlic from getting burnt.
3. Saute the onions and green chilly till the onions turn golden brown in colour.
4. Add the tomatoes, turmeric powder, corriander powder and chilly powder and cook till the tomatoes gets mashed up.
5. When oil starts seperating from the masala, add the shrimp pieces and fry so that shrimp is coated with the masala.
6. Add the ridgegourd pieces and required salt. Cover and let it cook for about 5-10 minutes.
7. The ridgegourd pieces will ooze out lot of water. Cook till most of the water gets dried up and oil starts seperating from the masala.
8. Finally toss finely chopped cilantro and switch off.
9. Serve this yummy sidedish with white rice and curry, variety rice dishes, pulaos or chappatti. You can also use this to make masala dosa.