- Submitted by Dahlia
(Indian Carrot Soup)
Carrot Rasam (Indian Carrot Soup) is a south Indian curry with soup consistency made from tamarind and carrot with mild masalas. Carrot rasam is usually had with rice in south India. It can also consume as soup.
- Carrot - 1 big/ 2 small
- Tomato - 1 (finely chopped or crushed)
- Garlic - 3-4 cloves
- Lemon Juice/Tamarind juice - 3 tbsp
- Rasam Powder - 1 tbsp
- Pepper Powder - as needed
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Water - 3 cups
- Salt - to taste
- Oil - 2 tbsp
- Dry red chilly - 1
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves - 7 leaves
- Asafoetida powder - 1/2 tsp
- Coriander leaves (cilantro) – handful (chopped)
- Cook the carrot with a little water in a microwave for 5 minutes till it is soft.
- Soak the tamarind in warm water for 5 minutes to get tamarind juice.
- Heat little oil in a pan, splutter the mustard seeds, cumin seeds, curry leaves and dry red chillies.
- Add the crushed garlic and tomatoes. Let the tomatoes cook for a while, until they become soft and juicy.
- Puree the cooked carrot and add it to the above mixture.
- Next, add the lemon juice/ tamarind juice, rasam powder, pepper powder, turmeric powder, asafoetida, salt, cilantro and water.
- Let it simmer for another 10- 15 minutes. It should not boil.
- Garnish with some fresh chopped cilantro. Serve with rice or have it as such as a simple carrot soup.
- Similarly, you could also make beetroot rasam and pineapple rasam.
NOTE: See generic rasam recipe here.
More Carrot Recipes