- submitted by Dahlia on 03-04-2009
(Beetroot Rasam, Pineapple Rasam)
Carrot - 1 big/ 2 small
Tomato - 1 (finely chopped or crushed)
Garlic - 3-4 cloves
Lemon Juice/Tamarind juice - 3 tbsp
Rasam Powder - 1 tbsp
Pepper Powder - as needed
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Water - 3 cups
Salt - to taste
Oil - 2 tbsp
Dry red chilly - 1
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves - 7 leaves
Asafoetida powder - 1/2 tsp
Coriander leaves (cilantro) – handful (chopped)
1. Cook the carrot with a little water in a microwave for 5 minutes till it is soft.
2. Soak the tamarind in warm water for 5 minutes to get tamarind juice.
3. Heat little oil in a pan, splutter the mustard seeds, cumin seeds, curry leaves and dry red chillies.
4. Add the crushed garlic and tomatoes. Let the tomatoes cook for a while, until they become soft and juicy.
5. Puree the cooked carrot and add it to the above mixture.
6. Next, add the lemon juice/ tamarind juice, rasam powder, pepper powder, turmeric powder, asafoetida, salt, cilantro and water.
7. Let it simmer for another 10- 15 minutes. It should not boil.
8. Garnish with some fresh chopped cilantro. Serve with rice or have it as such as a simple carrot soup.
- Similarly, you could also make beetroot rasam
and pineapple rasam
See generic Rasam recipe.