- Submitted by Dahlia on 4th Mar 2009
(Indian Carrot Soup)
Carrot Rasam (Indian Carrot Soup) is a south Indian curry with soup consistency made from tamarind and carrot with mild masalas. Carrot rasam is usually had with rice in south India. It can also consume as soup.
Carrot - 1 big/ 2 small
- Tomato - 1 (finely chopped or crushed)
- Garlic - 3-4 cloves
- Lemon Juice/Tamarind juice - 3 tbsp
- Rasam Powder - 1 tbsp
- Pepper Powder - as needed
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Water - 3 cups
- Salt - to taste
- Oil - 2 tbsp
- Dry red chilly - 1
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves - 7 leaves
- Asafoetida powder - 1/2 tsp
- Coriander leaves (cilantro) – handful (chopped)
Cook the carrot with a little water in a microwave for 5 minutes till it is soft.
- Soak the tamarind in warm water for 5 minutes to get tamarind juice.
- Heat little oil in a pan, splutter the mustard seeds, cumin seeds, curry leaves and dry red chillies.
- Add the crushed garlic and tomatoes. Let the tomatoes cook for a while, until they become soft and juicy.
- Puree the cooked carrot and add it to the above mixture.
- Next, add the lemon juice/ tamarind juice, rasam powder, pepper powder, turmeric powder, asafoetida, salt, cilantro and water.
- Let it simmer for another 10- 15 minutes. It should not boil.
- Garnish with some fresh chopped cilantro. Serve with rice or have it as such as a simple carrot soup.
- Similarly, you could also make beetroot rasam and pineapple rasam.
NOTE: See generic rasam recipe here.
More Carrot Recipes