-Submitted by Dahlia
(Yogurt Chicken, Yoghurt Chicken, Dahi Chicken Curry, Curd Chicken Gravy, Spicy Chicken in Yogurt Sauce)
Chicken cooked in curd (dahi / yogurt) imparts a unique flavor to the curry. The combination of curd, black pepper powder and fresh green curry leaves gives a nice aroma and flavor to the curry. Dahi chicken curry can be had with plain white rice, biryani or pulao or with any roti varieties.
Recipe for Curd Chicken
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
- Chicken - 1 kg (app. 2 lbs)
- Yogurt - 1 cup (beaten)
- Onion - 1 big/ 2 small (finely chopped)
- Ginger garlic Paste - 1 tbsp
- Green Chillies - 1 or 2
- Assorted Whole Garam Masala - (1 cinnamon, 1 bay leaf, 3 cloves etc)
- Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
- Chilly Powder - 1 tsp (or to taste)
- Pepper Powder - 1 tbsp
- Garam Masala Powder - 1 tsp
- Salt - to taste
- Cilantro - 1/4 bunch (finely chopped)
- Curry Leaves - for garnish
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Marinate the chicken with the yogurt and all the dry masala powders (red chili powder, garam masala, turmeric powder and pepper powder).
- Heat oil in a pan and fry the whole garam masala and cumin seeds.
- Add the onions, green chilies and cook till it turns nice and golden brown. Add the ginger garlic paste and fry for 1 minute.
- Add the marinated chicken to this and bring everything to a boil. Add water if you want a thinner gravy.
- Cover and cook for 10-15 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Mix in the finely chopped coriander leaves and switch off. Curd chicken curry is ready to be served.
Detailed Steps for Dahi Murgh
Marinate the chicken with the yogurt, red chili powder, garam masala, turmeric powder and pepper powder.
Heat oil in a pan and fry the whole garam masala and cumin seeds.Add the chopped onions and green chilies.
Once the onions turn golden brown, add the ginger garlic paste and fry for 1 minute. If you want extra gravy, puree 2 tomatoes and saute it for 5 minutes and then proceed. Today I haven't added tomatoes.
Add the marinated chicken to this and bring everything to a boil. Cover and cook for 10-15 minutes stirring occasionally.
After the oil separates from the curry, mix in the finely chopped coriander leaves. Switch off and enjoy this tasty curry.
More Chicken Gravy Recipes