-Submitted by Dahlia on 31st Mar 2009
(Yogurt Chicken, Yoghurt Chicken, Dahi Chicken Curry, Curd Chicken Gravy, Spicy Chicken in Yogurt Sauce)
Chicken cooked in curd (dahi / yogurt) imparts a unique flavor to the curry. The combination of curd, pepper powder and fresh curry leaves gives a very nice aroma and flavor. Dahi chicken curry can be had with plain white rice, biryani or pulao or with any roti varieties.
Recipe For Curd Chicken
- Chicken - 1 kg (app. 2 lbs)
- Yogurt - 1 cup (beaten)
- Onion - 1 big/ 2 small (finely chopped)
- Ginger garlic Paste - 1 tbsp
- Green Chillies - 1 or 2
- Tomatoes - 3 (finely chopped/ pureed)
- Assorted Whole Garam Masala - (1 cinnamon, 1 bay leaf, 3 cloves etc)
- Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
- Chilly Powder - 1 tsp (or to taste)
- Pepper Powder - 1 tbsp
- Garam Masala Powder - 1 tsp
- Salt - to taste
- Cilantro - 1/4 bunch (finely chopped)
- Curry Leaves - for garnish
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Marinate the chicken with the yogurt and all the dry masala powders (chilly powder, garam masala, turmeric powder and pepper powder).
Heat oil in a pan and fry the whole garam masala and cumin seeds.
- Add the onions and cook till it turns nice and golden brown.
- Add the ginger garlic paste and fry for 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes and cook till the oil separates. (Note: Tomatoes are not traditionally added in this recipe. It can be added or not depending on individual taste.)
- Add the marinated chicken to this and bring everything to a boil. Add water if you want a thinner gravy.
- Cover and cook for 10-15 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Mix in the finely chopped coriander leaves.
- Finally garnish with fresh curry leaves and split green chillies. Curd chicken curry is ready to be served.
More Chicken Gravy Recipes