- submitted by Dahlia on 03-22-2011
(Nandu Kulambu, Crab Curry, Nandu Masala)
Crab - 5-6
- Onion - 1 big (finely chopped)
Tomatoes - 2 (finely chopped)
- Ginger garlic paste - 1 teaspoon
Green Chillies - 2
- Coriander powder - 1 tbsp
Red chilly powder - 1 tbsp
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Whole Garam Masala - 1 bay leaf, 2" piece cinnamon stick, 2 cloves, 3 cardamoms
- Curry Leaves - 1 spring
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
- Fennel seeds - 1 tsp
Oil – 2 tbsp
- Cilantro (Coriander Leaves) - handful (finely chopped)
- Grated Coconut - 1/4 cup
Fennel seeds - 1 tsp
- Poppy seeds - 1 tsp
Cashews - 4
- Clean the crab and cut it. Add some salt and keep it aside.
Heat oil in a deep pan (kadai) and temper the whole garam masala, cumin seeds, fennel seeds and curry leaves.
- Add the onions and green chillies and fry till it turns golden.
Next fry the ginger garlic paste for a minute.
- Add the tomatoes and cook till the tomatoes are mashed up.
Now add the chilly powder, coriander powder and turmeric powder.
- Now add the crabs and mix to coat the crabs with the masala.
Add some water depending on how much gravy you need. You can also make it a semi gravy dish.
- Cover and let it cook for 5-7 minutes. The crab turns red in color when done. If you overcook the crab it will become stringy.
- In the meantime grind the ingredients under 'To grind'.
- Add this ground paste to the crab gravy. Check for salt and other seasonings and adjust if needed.
Let the gravy simmer for another 5 minutes for the ground masala to get cooked.
- Finally add chopped cilantro and switch off.
Other Crab Recipes
Other Chettinad Recipes