- submitted by Grace Sam on 02-22-2008
(Masoor Dal Dosai, Toor dal Dosai, Carrot Dosai, Orange Dosai, Carrot Adai)
Rice - 1 cup
Masoor dal - 1/2 cup (You could also use toor dal instead)
Channa dal - 2 tblsp
Dry red chillies - 3
Ginger - 1" piece
Asafoetida - a pinch
Carrots - 2 (optional)
Oil - to fry dosas
Salt - to taste
Masoor dal dosai with grated carrot
1. Wash and soak the rice and dal for atleast 1 hour.
2. After soaking, drain and grind it to a smooth paste with asafoetida, dry red chillies, ginger, salt and water enough to make a dosa batter.
3. If the batter becomes thicker you can always add water later. (You can grind the carrot along with the batter or add grated carrot to the batter.)
4. The batter will be a beautiful orange colour. Let this batter rest for atleast 1/2 an hour.
5. Grease a non stick dosa pan and pour a spoonful of batter. Spread it using the back
of the spoon using circular motion to about 9 inch round dosa.
6. Add few drops of oil on top. Once it turns slightly brown, flip and brown the other side too.
7. A nice orange brown colour dosa is ready.
- You could also use other vegetables like tomato, zucchini, bottlegourd or spinach instead of carrot.
- Serve the dosas hot from the tawa with sambhar, chutney, idli podi or any non veg gravy.
Serves : 4
Orange coloured dal dosai batter
Toor dal dosai