- submitted by Dahlia on 06-08-2009
(Kappa Biriyani, Tapioca Biryani)
Tapioca (Kappa) - 1 big/2 small
Beef - 1 lb
Onion - 1 small (chopped)
Tomato - 1 (diced)
Ginger Garlic Paste - 1 tblsp
Green Chillies - 3
Chilly Powder - 1 tsp
Pepper Powder - 1 tsp
Garam Masala - 1 tsp
Coriander Powder - 2 tsp
Turmeric Powder - 1 pinch
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Dry red chillies - 3
Curry Leaves - 1 spring
Cilantro - for garnish
Salt - to taste
Coconut Oil - 1 tblsp
To prepare kappa
1. Take a stock pot and bring plenty of water to a boil.
2. Add salt, a pinch of turmeric powder and tapioca (kappa) to the water.
3. Boil it for 5 minutes or until the kappa pieces are tender. The tapioca (kappa) pieces should be just tender when pierced with a knife and not start becoming mushy. So do not overcook.
To prepare beef gravy
1. Heat coconut oil in a small pressure cooker and splutter the mustard seeds, dry red chillies and curry leaves.
2. Saute the onions till it turns golden brown.
3. Saute the ginger garlic paste, green chillies and tomatoes.
4. Add the beef pieces, chilly powder, coriander powder, garam masala, turmeric powder, pepper powder and required salt.
5. Saute everything for a minute.
6. Add little water and pressure cook for 2 whistles or until the beef becomes tender.
To make the biryani
1. After the pressure is released, open the cooker.
2. Switch on the flame and let it simmer till most of the liquid evaporates and very little gravy is left.
3. At this stage, add the boiled tapioca (kappa) pieces and mix gently. The kappa pieces should hold its shape nicely.
4. Reduce the heat to the lowest setting, cover with a lid and let it cook for 5 minutes.
5. The juices from the beef gravy will be nicely absorbed by the tapioca (kappa) pieces.
6. Finally open the lid, add some finely chopped cilantro. Kappa biryani is ready to serve. Server hot.
See other Biryani Recipes