- submitted by Dahlia on 09-17-2008
Green Peas - 1 cup
Fenugreek leaves (Methi) - 1 bunch
Cream - 1/2 cup
Tomato - 1 (pureed)
Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder - a pinch
Chilly powder - 1/2 tsp (optional)
Milk - if needed for gravy
Butter - 1 tblsp
Salt - to taste
Onion - 1
Green Chilly - 1
Cashew nuts/ Almonds - 1 tblsp
Poppy seeds(khus khus) - 1 tblsp (optional)
Curd - 1 tblsp
Ginger - 1/2 " piece
Cinnamon - 1/2 " stick
Cloves - 3
Cardomon - 1
1. Roast all the ingredients under "to grind" except curd. Make a paste of it with the curd and keep aside.
2. Remove the methi leaves, discard the stem. Soak it in hot water for 5 minutes and drain it well.
3. Heat butter in a pan, add the cumin seeds.
4. Add the chilly powder, turmeric powder, ground paste and the tomato puree and let it cook for 3-4 minutes.
5. Add the green peas (matar), fenugreek leaves(methi) and malai (cream).
6. Add milk as needed to get the desired gravy consistency.
7. Boil for 5 minutes until the gravy thickens and the ingredients are cooked.
8. Garnish with some fresh cream and serve with any roti varieties.
- A low fat version of the same recipe can be made by using fat free half and half or evaporated milk instead of cream.