- submitted by Dahlia on 04-27-2008
Rutabagas are similar to turnip with a mild sweet flavour. It tastes almost like potatoes when cooked. The same recipe can be used to make turnip masla, potato masala too.
Rutabaga/Turnip - 1 (chopped into small cubes)
Onion - 1 (finaly chopped)
Tomatoes - 2-3 (finaly chopped or pureed)
Ginger garlic paste - 2 tsp
Coconut - 1 tblsp
Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
Fenugreek seeds - 1/4 tsp
Dry red chillies - 6
Corriander seeds - 1/2 tsp
Whole garam masala - (1 cinnamon, 3-4 cloves, 1 bay leaf, 2-3 cardomon)
Cilnatro - for garnish
Salt - to taste
1. Fry the cubed rutabaga/turnip with 1 tblsp of oil until it browns nicely and keep aside.
2. Dry roast the coconut, cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds, dry red chillies, corriander seeds and grind them.
3. Heat 1 tblsp of oil in a pan, spatter some mustard seeds, whole garam masala and curry leaves.
4. Saute the onions till they are nicely browned.
5. Next add the ginger garlic paste followed by the tomatoes. Cover and cook till the tomatoes are nice and soft.
6. Next add the ground masala along with some turmeric and salt. Add the browned rutabaga/turnip with little water as needed.
7. Cover and cook for 7- 10 minutes until a nice masala is ready.
8. Garnish with cilantro. Serve with any roti or rice.
Rutabaga cubes being fried