- Submitted by Dahlia on 3rd August 2014
(Cabbage Masala, Cabbage Kootu, Cabbage Upkari, Cabbage Sabzi)
Cabbage is one of the cheapest and easily available vegetables. It has a long shelf life too. Cabbage is used to make fried rice, veg noodles, salads and soups.
It tastes good as a side dish with both rice and chapatti. I have already shared the recipe of the famous Cabbage Stir-fry also called cabbage poriyal or cabbage thoran or cabbage sabzi. Cabbage can also be paired up with channa dal, moong dal, potatoes, beans, chickpeas, carrot and green peas to make tasty side dishes.
This recipe is a very tasty preparation that combines cabbage with channa dal. It is very famous mostly in South India. Even those who are not a big fan of cabbage will enjoy this side dish as it has lentils in it.
Cabbage (Muttaikose, Pattagobhi) - 1/2 or 4 cups (chopped)
- Channa dal (Bengal gram) - 1/4 cup (dry)
Grated coconut - 1/4 tsp
- Green chili - 1 (chopped or sliced)
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Salt - to taste
Coriander leaves (Cilantro) - 2 tbsp (finely chopped)
Oil - 2 tbsp
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Urad dal - 2 tsp
- Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp
Asafoetida - 1/4 tsp
- Curry Leaves - 1 sprig
Wash the channa dal and soak it in water for atleast half an hour. Usually I soak it overnight if I plan to make the side dish in the morning.
- Cook the channa dal till it becomes soft. You can cook this in the pressure cooker, microwave or in an open pot.
- Heat oil in a kadai. Temper with mustard seeds, urad dal, cumin seeds, curry leaves and asafoetida.
- Add the green chilies and chopped cabbage. Sprinkle some water and cover the pan.
- Cook on medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Open the lid and add the cooked channa dal, turmeric powder, grated coconut and salt. Add 1 tsp of chili powder if you like it spicy.
- Mix together. Cover again and cook for another 5 minutes. Add little water if needed.
- After it is soft, add the chopped coriander leaves and switch off.
- This tastes great with roti, parathas or with white rice.
- Instead of channa dal try using whole brown chickpeas or green peas or moong dal.
Other Recipes with Cabbage
Other Sabzi Recipes