- submitted by Dahlia on 09-29-2008
(Kulambu Milagai Thool, Homemade Sambhar Powder)
Sambhar powder is a spice mixture usually made with roasted lentils, coriander seeds, dried whole red chillies, fenugreek seeds and curry leaves. There are many variations depending on the place and taste. Here is a recipe for sambhar powder. The ingredients can be modified to suit to individual tastes.
Channa Dal - 2 tblsp
Urad Dal - 1 tblsp
Corriander seeds - 2 tblsp
Dry red chillies - 10-15 (or as per your spice level)
Rice - 1 tblsp
Fenugreek seeds - 1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
Asafoetida - 1/2 tsp
Turmeric Powder - 1 tsp
Curry leaves - 1 strand
(should be added only if the sambhar powder is used immedietely)
Garlic - 4 cloves
Grated Coconut - 2 tblsp
1. In a heavy bottomed pan, dry roast all the ingredients on a very low flame and constant stirring to prevent it from getting burnt.
2. After about 10 minutes when the dals and other ingredients are nicely rosted, switch off and let it cool.
3. Grind everything well and use to make sambhar.
4. If you are making the sambhar powder fresh and will use it within a day or 2, add the optional ingredients too while roasting. This enhances the flavour a lot.
5. You can make this in bulk and store it for upto 3-4 months (without the optional ingredients). Just multiply the quantity of ingredients given.