- Submitted by Dahlia on 19th Oct 2008
(Saffron Rice, Zafrani Pulav, Kungumapoo Sadam)
Recipe For Zafrani Pulao
Basmati Rice - 2 cup
- Saffron - 1 tsp
- Nuts (Cashews, Almonds, Pistachios, Walnuts etc) - 1 cup
- Dried Fruits (Black Raisins, Golden Raisins, cranberries, pineapple, papaya etc) - 1 cup
- Fresh fruits (Pomegranate, Grapes, Apple ) - 1 cup
- Whole Garam Masala - (1 bay leaf, 1 cinnamon stick, 1 cardamon, 3 cloves)
- Black Cumin - 1/2 tsp
- Fried Onions - 1/2 cup
- Ginger garlic paste - 1 tsp
- Cilantro - handful
- Mint - handful
- Sugar - 1 tbsp
- Coriander-Cumin Powder - 1 tbsp
- Milk - 1/4 cup
- Oil - 2 tbsp
- Ghee - 1 tbsp
- Wash and soak the rice for at least 10 minutes.
- Slice the onion lengthwise and fry it.
- Soak the saffron strands in the milk.
Heat oil in a pan and splutter the cumin seeds and whole garam masala.
- Add the nuts and dried fruits and saute for a minute on very low flame to prevent them from getting burnt.
- Add the ginger garlic paste, sugar and corriander-cumin powder.
- (After this you can cook in a rice cooker or stove top.) Add the above mixture to the rice along with required water, fried onions, half of the saffron- milk mixture and finely chopped coriander and mint leaves.
- Let it cook till the rice is done. At this stage add the remaining saffron-milk mixture on top of the rice.
- Add the fresh fruits and mix gently with a fork without breaking the rice.
- Add few drops of ghee on top.
- Garnish with additional nuts, fruits, cilantro and fresh saffron strands.
- You can remove the whole garam masala before serving.
- You can also add fresh vegetables like carrots, sweet peas, sweet corn etc.
More Rice Recipes