-Submitted by Raji Ramakrishnan
(Adai With Topping, Mixed Dal Dosa, Mix Dal Mini Dosa, Vegetable Adai)
Adai is made out of a combination of rice, tuvar dal, urid dal, chana dal, curry leaves, red chilies, green chilies and asafoetida. It is a protein packed meal option for vegetarians. I have already shared the traditional adai recipe as well as a few healthy variations like multi grain adai, sprouts adai, potato adai and raw banana adai.
Today I'll share some ideas for making adai with toppings similar to uthappams made with dosa batter. It is perfect to impress kids as it is colorful and small in size. You can make it for breakfast, dinner or as an evening snack. It is also a good idea to make for parties or for guests. I encourage all the regular visitors to take up these ideas and enjoy nutritious meals every day. The vegetables and the combination of lentils makes this a complete meal idea.
The below measurement makes lot of batter. You can make adais as required and refrigerate the remaining for later use.
Recipe For Assorted Mini Adai
Preparation time : 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- Rice - 2 cups
- Channa dal - 1/2 cup
- Tuvar dal - 1/2 cup
- Urid dal - 1/4 cup
- Red Chilies - 3
- Green Chili - 1
- Salt - to taste
- Asafoetida - 1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves - few
- Onion - as needed (chopped)
- Tomatoes - as needed
- Cucumber - as needed
- Dosa Molagai Podi - as needed
- Cheese - as needed
- Wash and soak the rice, dals, red chili and green chili together for 2-3 hrs. If you plan to make it for breakfast, then you can soak it overnight.
- Grind the items by adding asafoetida and salt to a smooth paste. Normally for adai the batter is coarsely ground but I prefer to make it a smooth paste like dosa batter.
- Chop the curry leaves and mix with the batter. Now allow it to ferment for 3-4 hrs. You can make the adais without fermentation too, it only a personal preference.
- Heat a non stick tava, pour half a ladle of the batter on the tava to make each mini adai. You can make 2-3 adai's at a time in the regular dosa pan. If you have a bigger electric griddle, you can easily make even up to 10 adais at a time.
- Top one with onion, another with tomato, another with cucumber, another with cheese and another with gun powder. Use any topping according to your preference. Other ideas for topping include chopped spinach, cilantro, grated beetroot, zucchini, beaten egg etc.
- Put few drops of oil on each adai. After one side is cooked, carefully flip each adai to cook the other side too.
- Once both sides are well roasted, remove from flame and serve immediately. These taste best when served hot.
- Likewise make the adai's with the remaining batter and enjoy!!
Serving Mini Adai
- Serve hot with any type of chutney, sambar or sauce like tomato ketchup or hot sauce.
More Adai, Idli and Dosa Recipes