- Submitted by Dahlia Sam
(Simple Sponge Cake, Easy Sponge Cake)
Jump to recipe ↓
Sponge Cake is a very basic cake that is often made as a base cake before frosting. It is very light and soft. Eggs are beaten until fluffy and mixed with flour and sugar. It is simply flavoured with vanilla essence. It is one of the easiest cake that beginners can try.
Recipe For Sponge Cake
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
- Maida - 1 cup
- Oil - 1/4 cup
- Milk - 1/4 cup
- Egg - 4
- Sugar - 3/4 cup
- Baking soda -1/2 tsp
- Baking Powder - 1 tsp
- Vanilla essence - 2 tsp
- Salt - 1/4 tsp
- Separate the egg whites and yolk.
- Whip up the egg whites till it forms stiff peaks.
- Beat the yolks separately in a mixing bowl. Add sugar, milk, Vanilla essence and oil with this. Mix nicely.
- Sift the dry ingredients - maida, baking soda, baking powder, salt. Mix it with the wet ingredients to get a nice batter.
- Finally fold in the egg whites. Do not mix too much. The air incorporated should not come out.
- Pour the batter in a 6" or 7" baking pan and bake at 350 degrees C (180degrees F) for 25 to 30 minutes.
Serving Sponge Cake
- Sponge cake can be served with a cup of tea for evening snack.
- If you want a richer presentation, you can serve a slice with some fruit sauce like lemon sauce, strawberry sauce etc.
More Cake Recipes