- Submitted by Dahlia
(Egg Thokku, Anda Masala, Muttai Thokku, Muttai Masala, Indian Egg Gravy)
Egg Thokku (also called Egg Masala or Muttai Thokku) is a very common dish made with eggs. It is made in many states of India and has its own regional variations.
All egg dishes are known for its ease of making since eggs cook very fast. It can be made easily by bachelors and beginners. Eggs are comparatively less expensive making this a perfect dish for big gatherings or parties.
Recipe For South Indian Egg Masala
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- Eggs - 4
- Onion - 3 (chopped or sliced)
- Tomatoes - 3 (chopped or sliced)
- Ginger garlic paste - 1 tsp
- Green Chilies - 2
- Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
- Red Chili Powder - 2 tsp
- Coriander Powder - 1 tbsp
- Black Pepper Powder - 1/2 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder - a pinch
- Salt - to taste
- Oil - 2 tbsp
- Mustard Seeds - 1 tsp
- Curry Leaves - few
- Cilantro - handful (finely chopped)
- Take the eggs in a saucepan, add water to cover the eggs and bring to a boil. Reduce the flame and simmer for 5 minutes. Cover and leave it for 10 minutes. Drain the hot water and add cold water to the pan. After about 5 minutes, peel the eggs to get the perfect hard boiled eggs.
- Chop the onions and tomatoes finely or slice them thinly and keep it ready.
- Heat oil in a pan, crackle the mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- Add the chopped onions and saute for 3-4 minutes. Add the green chilies and ginger-garlic paste.
- After about a minute, add the tomatoes, cover and cook for couple of minutes.
- Add the salt, turmeric powder, chili powder and coriander powder. Add about 1/2 cup of water (or coconut milk) and cook till oil separates from the masala.
- Make 3 or 4 slits in the eggs or cut it into halves. Add these to the curry.
- Sprinkle the pepper powder and garam masala. Gently toss everything such that the masala coats all around the eggs.
- Garnish with finely chopped coriander leaves and serve.
More Egg Dishes