- Submitted by Beryl
(Indian French Toast, Bread Toast with Egg and Milk)
Jump to recipe ↓
Bombay Toast is nothing but the common Indian name for French Toast. It is also sometimes just called Bread Egg Toast. It is a very simple and sweet snack that is loved by my kids. In this first we will be preparing a batter (or custard) with egg, milk and sugar. The bread slices are dipped into the custard and straight away put on a heated pan. Both the sides are shallow fried. The bread slices absorb the custard, gets fried all around and get super delicious.
This dish is a perfect breakfast during lazy weekends. It can also be made as an after school snack. In India, no additional flavors are usually added but in other places around the world, the custard is flavored with ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg or vanilla extract. Also, sugar is mixed in with the custard so it can eaten as such. If you want to serve it with some honey or maple syrup, do not add sugar to the custard else it will become too sweet.
French Toast can be made with white sandwich bread or any other types of bread like whole wheat bread, cinnamon raisin bread, baguette, french loaf, Italian bread etc. Its a great recipe to use up stale old bread. Harder bread soaks up the custard and becomes very tasty.
Recipe for Bombay Toast
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
- Bread Slices - 6
- Eggs - 2
- Milk - 3/4 cup
- Sugar - 2 tsp (or as per taste)
- In a big vessel, first make a batter. Add sugar milk and egg and mix thoroughly.
- Now put the pan on the stove top. Keep heat on low to medium flame.
- Dip a bread in the batter. Don't soak it in the batter. Just dip on both sides and take it out.
- Put it on the heated pan.
- When the bottom side of bread gets slight brown colour flip it carefully and allow it to heat on other side.
- When both sides are toasted, remove carefully from the pan into a serving plate. The toast is ready to eat.
- Those who cannot eat the sweet version due to health reasons can make a savory french toast with salt and black pepper. The recipe will be posted soon.
- As I said before, try the same recipe with different types of bread. The recipe for shared French Toast with Baguette Bread is given separately.
Serving Bombay Toast
- French toast can be served as such with a cup of tea for snack.
- If you want to serve it as a fancy breakfast, drizzle some maple syrup on top. Also add some berries to make it colorful.
- Another way of serving is with a dollop of butter some a sprinkling of powdered sugar on top.
More Sandwich Recipes