- Submitted by Dahlia
(Carrot Greens Sandwich, Independence Day Sandwich)
Independence day is an oppurtunity when my kids enjoy eating tri color dishes. I also grab such oppurtunities and make some healthy trocolor dishes. This tricolor sandwich is one such dish that my kids totally enjoyed. I have used carrots, cheese and vallarai keerai to make it tri-colored. For added flavor, I used tomato ketchup and mint chutney which adds to brighten up the colors even more.
Talking about Vallarai Keerai, it is a very healthy green vegetable. It is known as Centella or Indian Pennywort. It is found mostly only in Asian countries and is often used in traditional folk medicine to treat vericose vein. Regular consumption is said to improve memory power. It can be eaten in cooked or raw form. The leaves have a beautiful shape. It is usually sold in small bunches. The leaves are slightly bitter but can be easily masked when combined with other ingredients. Common dishes made with centella are paruppu kootu, thuvayal with coconut and even as dry powder. In this sandwich, I have used it in its fresh raw form. It was a great combination with some sweet carrots and cheese. Do try this sandwich and eat healthy.
Recipe for Tricolor Vegetable Sandwich
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: NIL
- Bread (Any type of bread) - 4 slices
- Vallarai Keerai (or Spinach) - about 1/4 cup
- Carrot (grated) - about 1/4 cup
- Cheese- 2 slices
- Tomato Ketchup - 2 tsp
- Green Chutney - 2 tsp
- Prepare the green chutney as per the recipe. Grate the carrots and keep it ready. Wash and dry the greens on a paper towel. Today I have used Vallarai Keerai so I just pluck the leaves and keep it whole. You can also use baby spinach leaves. If using spinach, chop it roughly.
- Take two slices of bread for one sandwich. Spread 1 tsp of green chutney in one slice and 1 tsp of tomato ketchup in another.
- On the slice with green chutney, arrange the vallarai keerai leaves. On the slice with ketchup spread the grated carrots.
- Place the cheese slice over one of bread slice with grated carrots. Instead of cheese, sometimes I like to add a layer of roasted peanuts in between to get the white layer.
- Close the sandwich, cut into half diagonally to get a triangular sandwich. It is ready to serve. I served it as a fresh sandwich with fresh vegetables. If desired, you may toast it before serving.
- Instead of the tricolor vegetable sandwich, you can add orange segments, banana slices and kiwi slices and also make tricolor fruit sandwich. No need of adding any sauce or chutney.
More Sandwich Recipes