- Submitted by Dahlia
(Seasonal Melon Salad, Watermelon & Muskmelon Salad)
As the summer begins, it is a common sight to see piles of melons sold in supermarkets as well as by roadside vendors. In India watermelon, musk melon and another variety of melon fruit known as 'Kirni Pazham' in Tamil is commonly found. In US, I have also tasted honeydew melons. There are more than 20 varieties of melons fround in different countries. These seasonal fruits are in the best of their taste, filled with sweet watery flesh. Just eating a slice of these fruits will quench your thirst on a hot summer day.
In India it is a common sight to see street side vendors sell bowls of freshly chopped melons or melon juice during summer days. It is a boon to travellers and morning walkers. At home also I always have some melon on hand during summer. Kids enjoy eating them after playtime.
Apart from the usual way of cutting and eating a slice, we can make a fancy salad with these melons. This melon salad will be very refreshing for any summer barbeque party or picnics. The vibrant colous of the different melons along with little bits of mint leaves makes a beautiful presentation for guests. It can be served as a light dessert after a heavy meal.
The recipe of this fresh melon salad is quite basic with minimal ingredients whch are all the right ones. Serve this salad chilled for the best taste.
Recipe for Fresh Melon Salad
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: NIL
- Mixed Melon Balls - 6 cups (watermelon, muskmelon, honeydew melon)
- Honey - 2 tbsp
- Lemon Juice - 1 tbsp
- Fresh Mint Leaves - handful (chopped)
- Take some fresh melon varieties and cut in half. I had watermelon and musk melon on hand. You may also use other melons like honeydew melon.
- Using a melon baller cut out balls. This is just to make a beautiful presentation. If you do not have a melon baller, just cut the melons into uniform sized cubes.
- In a mixing bowl, take the melon balls (or cubes). Add the lemon juice and honey. Gently toss everything.
- Chop some fresh mint leaves and add on top.
- Refrigerate for about 15 minutes, toss once again and serve.
Serving Melon Salad
- Serve this salad chilled after some heavy meal as a dessert or as a simple snack.
More Salad Recipes