- Submitted by Dahlia
(Chocolate Hazelnut Spread)
Jump to recipe ↓
I guess there is no one who has not tasted Nutella. This chocolate hezelnut spread originated in Italy but has become popular all over India. Kids enjoy eating it with bread, chapathi and dosa. The price of this spread has been constantly increasing over the years. This has been a concern especially among parents.
What if you could make this spread at home in less than half the market price? Its not even difficult to make. You just have to blend the ingredients until smooth. Finding hazelnuts in India may be a challenge but I have seen in all Nuts & Spices shops. Just make a batch of Homemade Nutella and enjoy it with bread or other tiffin varieties on any weekdays.
The commercial ones usually includes palm oil. While making Nutella at home, you could add a healthier oil like olive oil or coconut oil. You could also replace half of the hazelnuts with almonds but the taste will differ.
Video Instructions for making Homemade Nutella
Recipe for Homemade Nutella
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: NIL
Makes: about 2 cups
- Hazelnuts - 1 cup (150 gms)
- Cocoa Powder - 1/4 cup
- Sugar - 1 cup
- Coconut Oil - 1/4 cup
- Salt - 1/4 tsp (optional)
- Take some roasted hazelnuts in a blender and powder it first. If you do not have roasted hazelnuts, roast the nuts over medium heat for about 10 minutes and then peel the skin.
- Add coconut oil, cocoa powder, sugar and little salt to balance the sweetness.
- Blend it again for few minutes till it becomes smooth and silky.
Detailed Steps for making Homemade Nutella
Take some roasted hazelnuts to speed up the process. If you do not have roasted hazelnuts, roast the nuts over medium heat for about 10 minutes. It is a good idea to even roast the store bought roated nuts once again for just couple of minutes to bring out the oils.
Powder the roasted nuts in a blender.
Add the remaining ingredients and just blend for 3-5 minutes till it becomes smooth and creamy.
- Homemade nutella can be used as a spread for bread which is the most common way of enjoying it.
- Other that that, it can also be used as a spread for chapatis and dosa.
- It can be used as a topping for ice creams, sweet pizza and crepes.
More Spread Recipes