- Submitted by Beryl
(Kale Subzi, Kale ki Sabzi)
Kale (Leaf cabbage) is a leafy vegetable found in almost all markets here in Australia. I was not sure what to do with this vegetable when I first found it. On googling, I found that kale is a powerhouse of nutrition and is known as the queen of greens. It belongs to the cabbage family and is an excellent source of Vitamin C, Vitamin K and fiber. It is also rich in other vitamins, minerals, beta carotene and anti-oxidants making it one of the healthiest vegetable. Regular consumption will reduce the risk of heart disease, good for eyes and prevents cancer. Most often it is found in dark green color but sometimes it is also available in purple color. The leaves are curly and can be consumed raw or cooked.
In India, poriyal is a very common side dish prepared in almost all houses for lunch. So, I thought of preparing poriyal with these kale leaves. As the stems of kale were bit hard, I just used the leafs for preparing this poriyal.
Recipe for Kale Poriyal
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
- Kale - 1 bunch
- Onion - 1 (big)
- Red chilies (or Green Chilies) - 3 nos.
- Garlic cloves - 4
- Ginger piece - one small piece
- Salt - as necessary
- Water - 1/4 cup
- Turmeric powder - 1 tbsp
- Red Chilli Powder - 1/2 tbsp (optional)
- Grated Coconut - 1 cup
- Oil - 2 tbsp
- Mustard seeds - 1 tbsp
- Urid Dhal - 2 tbsp
- Cumin seeds - 1 tbsp
- Curry leaves - 9 to 10 nos
- Shallots (Sambar Onion) - 5 nos
- Wash and cut Kale leaves into small pieces. Do not take the hard stem.
- Cut the onion, shallots, ginger, garlic and chillies (I have used fresh red chilies) into small pieces.
- Switch on the stove and in a kadai, pour about 2 tbsp of sunflower oil. If you don't have this oil, add any other cooking oil.
- Put mustard seeds and allow it to splutter. Add curry leaves, shallots, cumin seeds and urid dhal.
- Reduce the flame and wait for 1 -2 minutes till the shallots become light brown. Garnishing is done.
- Add chopped onion and saute well till it becomes transparent. Add chopped ginger and garlic pieces, chillies and saute well.
- Add salt, turmeric powder and red chili powder (optional). Using a spoon, mix everything.
- Sprinkle some water and allow it to cook for about 5 minutes.
- When the Kale leaves are cooked, sprinkle grated coconut and mix. Switch off the stove. Serve with rice.
Serving Kale Poriyal
- Serve this kale poriyal just like any other poriyal with rice or chapati and some curry.
- Do not use the hard stem, just use the leaves for better taste. If you want to use the hard stem, first cook it and then add leaves.
- Do not pour water, just sprinkle here and there for better texture. Onions saute faster if salt is added.
- Do not overcook the veggies, as all nutrients will be lost if overcooked.
More Greens Recipes