- Submitted by Beryl
(Cheru Naranga Curry, Elumichai Kuzhambu)
Lemon (Tamil: Naaranga) is a yellow fruit used for preparing lemon juice, lemon meringue pie, lemonade, cocktails, pickles, lemon cake etc. Lemon juice is also used for marinating fish. It is also used while preparing various Indian recipes, as it has sour taste. It is a good source of citric acid. In Indian kitchen, lemon is used for preparing lemon pickles, lemon rice, lemon rasam, lemon pepper chicken etc.
Lemon kootu is prepared by cooking lemon with salt, green chilly, asafoetida, turmeric powder and coriander powder. It is then garnished and served with rice.
Recipe for Lemon Curry
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
- Lemon - 2 big lemon or 5 small lemon
- Green Chili- 2 to 3 numbers
- Turmeric powder- 1 tbsp
- Coriander powder- 1/3 tbsp
- Asafoetida powder - 1 tbsp
- Garlic cloves- 2
- Ginger- very small piece
- Salt- as necessary
- Water- 1/3 cup
- Sunflower oil - 2 to 3 tbsp
- Mustard Seeds- 1 tbsp
- Curry leaves- 8 numbers
- Shallots- 4 numbers
- Wash the lemon, remove all seeds and cut into small pieces. Chop green chilies, garlic cloves and ginger.
- In a pan, add the cut lemon, add 1/3 cup of water, salt, green chilies, chopped garlic cloves and ginger pieces. (Instead of adding ginger and garlic pieces you can add ginger- garlic paste by frying in oil).
- Keep it on the stove top and allow it to cook for about 5-7 minutes.
- Once it is cooked, add asafoetida powder, little coriander powder, and turmeric powder.
- Heat it for another 2 to 3 minutes and switch off the stove.
- Now lets do the tempering. In the pan, add sunflower oil and heat it.
- Add mustard seeds, and allow it to splutter. Add curry leaves and shallots and allow the shallots to become bit brownish color.
- Add this on top of lemon curry.
- You can serve this lemon curry with rice.
More Lemon Recipes