- Submitted by Dahlia
(Nimbu Cake, Tea time cakes, Lemon Cupcakes)
Jump to recipe ↓
Lemon Cake is a soft, tangy cake full of lemony flavour. If you are a fan of lemon flavour like me, you will love this cake. My son and daughter just love this cake. It can be easily made any day and given to kids as an after school snack.
If you want to make the cake extra special, add a lemon glaze on top. It intensifies the lemony taste and takes the cake to another level. If not, just add some whipped cream topping and serve. Try this lucious lemon cake today and you will surely make it again.
Recipe For Lemon Cake
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
Serves: 4 - 6
- All Purpose Flour (Maida) - 1.5 cup
- Butter - 1/2 cup (1 stick or 100 gms)
- Egg - 2
- Sugar - 1 cup
- Vanilla Essence - 1/2 tsp
- Lemon Juice - 3 tbsp
- Lemon Zest - 1 tbsp
- Milk - 4 tbsp
- Baking Soda - 1 tsp
- Baking Powder - 1.5 tsp
- Salt - a pinch
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
- In the large mixing bowl beat the butter and sugar until it is smooth and creamy.
- Add the eggs one at a time while continuously mixing the mixture.
- Add vanilla extract, lemon juice and lemon zest and mix.
- Sift the dry ingredients together into a separate bowl - maida (flour), baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add this to the wet ingredients gradually with continuous mixing.
- Add milk and mix until it forms a smooth batter.
- Lightly grease the baking dish with some cooking spray and dust with some dry flour.
- Pour the cake batter into the pan. Pat the pan so that the batter smooths out.
- Bake for about 30 - 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool the cake before removing it from the pan.
- For making the lemon glaze, add 1 tbsp of lemon juice to about 1/2 cup of powdered sugar. Mix it with a whisk for few minutes till it melts and comes together. Add an additional 1 tbsp lemon juice if needed. Drizzle it on top of the cake. Some of the glaze gets absorbed within the cake. The rest of it sets on top of the cake. It takes the cake to a whole new level.
- Sometimes I simply use a whipped cream topping with some sprinkles instead of making the glaze.
- You can also use the same batter to make lemon cupcakes. The cupcakes will cook faster in about 20-25 minutes.
More Lemon Recipes