-Submitted by Dahlia
(Macaroni and Cheese, Mac and Cheese, Macaroni Pasta and Cheese, Macaroni Cheese, Easy Mac Cheese Recipe, Baked Macaroni)
Mac and Cheese is a classic American dish made with pasta. It is also referred to as Macaroni Cheese or Macaroni pie. Here the macaroni pasta (also called the elbow pasta) is baked with cheddar cheese. These days many instant versions are being made on stove top and in the microwave. It is the top favorite among kids and the adults who are kids at heart.
Here I have given the basic recipe for mac and cheese. People like to add their own flavorings while making the sauce like ground beef, bacon, garlic etc. My kids love it simple and plain. So here goes the recipe.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 40 – 45 minutes
- Elbow Pasta (Macaroni Pasta) – 2 cups (app. ½ lb)
- Bread Crumbs – 3-4 tbsp
- Parmesan Cheese – 2 tbsp
For The Sauce
- Butter – 3 tbsp
- All Purpose Flour – 3 tbsp
- Milk – 2 cups
- Salt – ½ tsp
- Black Pepper Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Cheddar Cheese – 3/4 cup
- Mozzarella Cheese – 1/4 cup
- Parmesan Cheese – 2 tbsp
- Heat a pan over medium low heat and add the butter. Once it melts, add the flour. Mix it and cook it for about a minute.
- Add the milk little by little while constantly stirring till you get a nice sauce. Add salt and pepper and switch off.
- Add the grated cheese and cover the pan. The heat of the sauce will melt the cheese.
- In the meantime, cook the pasta as per the package instructions. Take a deep big pot with plenty of water and bring it to a boil. Add salt and the pasta. Cook till the pasta turns soft but not mushy. Drain the water and add it to the sauce.
- Mix the pasta with the sauce till the sauce coats it nicely. You can serve the mac and cheese as such or go ahead and bake it. I often serve it at this stage and it is still delicious. Baking takes it to a whole new level.
- Put the macaroni cheese in a casserole dish or any other baking dish. Spread the bread crumbs and parmesan cheese on top. Drizzle few drops of olive oil on top of the bread crumbs.
- Bake in the over preheated at 400 degree F (200 degree C) for about 20 minutes till the sauce is bubbly and the top is browned. Baked macaroni and cheese is ready to be served.
- Since macaroni and cheese is a rich dish loaded with fat, it is often served with a fresh side salad.
- The left over mac and cheese can be used to spread on a toast and make a quick macaroni sandwich.
- Mac and cheese can also be used as a filling to make samosas or rolls.
- If you want a healthier option, cook some vegetables like broccoli or celery and puree it. Add the mac and cheese, the vegetable puree and some stock and boil it. You will get a cheesy soup in no time.
Baked Mac & Cheese
Mac & Cheese Without Baking
More Pasta Recipes