- Submitted by Dahlia
(Macaroni Pasta Sandwich, Mac & Cheese Sandwich, Pasta Sandwich)
To all the pasta lovers out there, here is another way of enjoying pasta stuffed within a sandwich. It makes such a comforting and filling meal. This is often made in western countries with leftover macaroni and cheese. The leftover pasta is layered between two slices of buttered bread and grilled until golden brown.
Today I am making this sandwich from scratch by cooking some elbow pasta just for these macroni sandwiches. I also add some onion, tomato and Indian spices. This tangy, creamy pasta and the crispy bread makes delicious sandwiches. Kids would love to have it for their lunch box or evening snack. If you plan to make it a meal, you could pair it up with some soup or salad and enjoy.
Recipe For Macaroni Sandwich
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- Macaroni Pasta (or Elbow Pasta) - 1/2 cup dry or 1 cup boiled
- Sandwich Bread - 4 slices
- Olive Oil - 2 tbsp
- Onions - 1 (grated)
- Garlic - 1 tsp (chopped)
- Tomatoes - 1 (pureed)
- Red chili powder - 1 tsp
- Pepper powder - 1 tsp
- Salt - to taste
- Cheddar Cheese - 2 slices or 1/2 cup grated.
- First step is to cook the pasta if you are making from scratch. About 1/2 cup of dry elbow pasta yields 1 cup of cooked pasta. Most of the times, I cook some extra pasta when making macroni and cheese. I refrigerate it and use it the next day to make sandwiches.
- Cook the pasta in a small sauce pot with some salt until al dente. Another option is cooking in the microwave. For this take 1/2 cup dry pasta and add 1/2 cup of water. Cook in micropower high for 2 1/2 minutes. Check if the pasta is done, else cook for another 30 seconds.
- Now take a pan with some olive oil. Add finely chopped or grated onion and garlic. Fry for few seconds till it sweats.
- Add tomato puree, red chili powder, pepper powder and salt. Cook for a minute.
- Add boiled macaroni pasta and mix well. Check the taste and switch off.
- Apply butter on slices of sandwich bread.
- Spread a thick layer of the above mixture. Usually I take 1/2 cup of pasta mixture for a sandwich. If you feel it's too much add about 1/3 cup of pasta for each sandwich.
- Sprinkle some grated cheese on top or place a cheese slice on top.
- Grill until the cheese melts and the bread become crisp.
- Enjoy this as a toast or place another toasted bread on top to make a sandwich.
Serving Macaroni Sandwich
- Sometimes when I just want to have a lighter snack, I just like to top up the pasta, add some cheese and serve as a toast. Other time I prefer adding the top bread to make a sandwich. It can be served along with a side salad or a soup.
More Sandwich Recipes