- Submitted by Dahlia
(Panna Cotta, Mango Pista Panna Cotta)
Panna cotta is a very light and refreshing desert originally from Italy. It is made by simmering cream, milk and sugar together and then setting it using gelatin. It is then topped with any berries or fruit coulis or any other sweet sauce.
Nowadays similar desserts are popular around the world. In India, agar agar is commonly used as the vegetarian alternative of gelatin, since most religious groups are opposed to consuming gelatin. One of the famous variations of panna cotta made in India is the Mango Panna Cotta.
Milk and cream is simmered and flavored with vanilla and topped with mango compote. I have gone one step ahead and replaced vanilla with pistachios. Here the dish can be renamed as Mango Pista Panna Cotta.
Recipe For Mango Panna Cotta
- Fresh cream - 1 1/4 cup
- Full fat milk - 3/4 cup
- Sugar - 1/4 cup
- Pista essence - 1 tsp
- Agar agar (or gelatin) - 1.5 tsp
For Mango Coulis
- Mango puree - 1 1/2 cups
- Sugar - 2-4 tbsp (add according to the sweetness of the mangoes)
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Agar agar (or gelatin) - 1 tsp (optional)
- Take the milk, cream and sugar in a sauce pan and bring it to boil.
- In the meantime soak the agar agar (or gelatin) in 2 tbsp of warm water and let it dissolve.
- Once the milk boils, add the soaked agar agar and pistachio essence to the milk.
- Simmer for couple of minutes and switch off. The agar agar should get completely dissolved. To make sure there are no lumps you can strain the milk once.
- Pour this into serving cups or bowl. Let this cool and set partially while you make the mango coulis for topping.
To prepare Mango Coulis topping
- In a small sauce pan add the mango puree, sugar, lemon juice and heat it.
- Simmer for couple of minutes and switch off. (Note: Optionally you can soak some agar agar and add it along with this. Traditionally agar agar is not added to coulis. Adding this helps the mango layer to set firmly.)
- Once it cools a bit, pour it over the partially set cream layer.
- Refrigerate for 3-5 hours till it is fully set before you enjoy.
- You can make berry coulis or pineapple coulis for topping.
- Substitute coconut milk instead of milk to get a very interesting variation.
More Mango Recipes