- Submitted by Dahlia
(Mango Lychee Ice Cream, Mango Lychee Pie)
Mango Mousse is one of the go-to desserts that I make whenever I have a party at home. It is so easy to put together even for a large crowd. It can be made the previous day. Mousse is so light and airy that all the guests enjoy eating it after a heavy main course.
There is already a recipe for Mango Pudding shared by my friend Rani. For those who do not know the difference between pudding and mousse, I would like to give a small introduction here, Both pudding and mousse are creamy desserts with differnt flavours depending on the base mix. Pudding has a thicker consistency which comes because of the cornstarch or gelatin added to the base. On the other hand, mousse is light and airy because of the whipped cream or whipped egg whites that is folded in with the base. Here I have used mango puree as the base. Gelatin may or may not be used for setting the mousse.
Coming to my recipe of Mango Mousse, I make it both with canned mangoes as well as fresh mangoes depending on the season. I have shared both methods below. I prefer to make it eggless so that even my vegetarian friends can enjoy. I use gelatin for setting the mouse, which could be replaced with agar agar or veg-friendly mango jelly mix. The next main ingredient is the cream for which we can use heavy whipping cream, double cream or fresh cream with medium to high fat. Amul low fat fresh cream can be used but it does not whip up as nicely as the others with higher fat content.
I love to add Lychee pieces to my mango mousse as it makes a great pair. I love the texture variation when we bite into sweet lychee pieces. You could skiip it if you can't find lychee.So here is my simplest recipe for Mango Lychee Mousse.
Recipe For Mango Lychee Mousse
Preparation Time : 30 minutes
Cooking Time : NIL
Serves : 10 - 12
- Mango Pulp - 1 can (30 oz)
- Cool Whip - 1 box (8 oz) ( You can whip up your own cream too)
- Condensed milk - 1 can (14 oz)
- Hot water - 1/2 cup
- Plain gelatin/ Mango jelly - 2 packets (14 gms or about 5 tsp)
- Lychee - 1 can (chop the lychees into small pieces)
- Mix the gelatin/jelly packets in the water and keep stirring it continuously until it is completely dissolved.
- Add this to the mango pulp along with the condensed milk and mix it nicely.
- Gently fold in the whipped cream with it.
- Pour it into individual cups or in a large serving dish and refrigerate it.
- After half an hour when the mixture is partially set, gently toss in the lychee pieces.
- Continue to refrigerate till it is fully set and serve as a light and finger licking dessert.
- If you put the same mixture in the freezer, you will get delicious home made mango lychee ice cream
- Put the mix in a graham cracker pie crust and refrigerate for about 6-8 hours. You have delicious Mango Lychee Pie.
More Mango Recipes