- Submitted by Beryl
Jump to recipe ↓
We recently got plenty of mangoes at cheap price as it is mango season here in Australia. So I am tryng different recipes using these sweet jicy mangoes. I thought of making this mango pulissery today for lunch.
Mango Pulissery or Mambazha Pulissery is a sweet mango curry prepared by cooking mangoes in yogurt and some spices. The curry has a blend of flavours that makes it delicious. It goes well with boiled rice. This is a traditional recipe from Kerala. Malayalees love to make this during Mango season. Let’s see how to make this tasty mango pulissery.
Recipe For Mango Pulissery
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
- Mangoes (fully ripe) - 4 big or 8 small
- Yoghurt - 2 cup or as per its sourness
- Coconut grated - 1 cup
- Coconut milk - 1/2 cup
- Sugar - 2 tsp or as per taste
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
- Red chilli powder - 1 tsp
- Black Pepper powder - 2 tsp
- Coconut oil - 1/4 cup
- Green chilly paste - from 6 numbers
- Cumin seed - 1 tsp
- Curry leaves -15
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds - 1 tsp
- Dry red chillies - 5
- Salt - as per taste
- In a mixie, add coconut, cumin seeds, pepper powder and grind well to a fine paste.
- Remove the skin of mangoes and add salt, sugar, green chilly paste, curry leaves, red chilli powder, turmeric powder and enough water.
- Cover with a lid and cook in low to medium flame.
- Cook till the water has reduced considerably in volume and the mangoes are cooked well.
- Add the coconut paste and coconut milk and mix well. Cook in low heat.
- Now add beated yoghurt and mix well.
- Check the taste and adjust the salt, sugar and yoghurt according to your taste buds. Remove from the stove.
- In a pan, add coconut oil and when it becomes hot, add mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, curry leaves and dry red chilly.
- The stove must be in low flame to avoid the mustard seeds and other things from getting burnt.
- Pour this over the already prepared mango pulissery and mix well. Enjoy with rice.
- Coconut oil gives good taste compared to other oils. Try to use coconut oil for this recipe.
- You can adjust the amount of sugar according to the sweetness of mango.
- Try to adjust the amount of yoghurt depending on its sourness.
More Mango Recipes