- Submitted by Raji Ramakrishnan
(Fenugreek leaves and Sweet Corn Patties, Vendaya keerai Makka cholam vadai)
Methi Corn Vadas are a tea time snack which is healthy and easy to make. It is a patties made with healthy fenugreek leaves and tasty sweet corn. Fried snacks are an easy way to attract kids as well as adults. What if we add some veggies and make the same snack extra nutritious? Its one of the easiest way to include veggies in the diet of finicky eaters.
We all know the health benefits of fenugreek leaves that it is good for diabetic patients and proper bowel movement. They are good for lactating moms for milk secretion. It is also good for cholesterol and treats skin and hair problems. Kids love sweetcorn and love any dishes in which it is added to. They will not even realize the addition of greens in it. You can make this vada using any other greens or other vegetables that you may have on hand. It can be enjoyed as a snack or a side dish any day. So give it a try.
Recipe for Methi Corn Vada
Preparation Time: 2 hours (including soaking time)
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
- Channa dal - 1/4 cup
- Sweet corn - 1/4 cup
- Fenugreek leaves - 1/2 cup
- Onion - 1 (finely chopped)
- Green chilies - 2
- Corn flour - 2 tbsp
- Rice flour - 1 tbsp
- Fennel seeds - 1/4 tsp
- White sesame seeds - 1/4 tsp
- Asafoetida - a pinch
- Curry leaves - 4 (chopped)
- Salt - to taste
- Oil - for deep frying
- Wash and soak the chana dal in water for 2 hours. Drain the liquid and grind it coarsely in a blender or a mixie. Do not add any water while grinding. The dal must have soaked up enough moisture to help in grinding.
- After the chana dal is coarsely ground, add the sweet corn and pulse it till it is partially crushed. Do not grind to a smooth paste.
- Remove it in a mixing bowl. Mix all the other ingredients - fenugreek leaves, chopped onion, chopped green chilies, chopped curry leaves, corn flour, rice flour, salt, asafoetida, sesame seeds and fennel seeds. It should form a thick vada batter.
- Pinch out small balls out of the batter and flatten it like vadas in your palm. If needed, grease your palm before shaping. Make it medium thick so that it will be crispy and well cooked inside.
- Heat oil in a kadai. Deep fry the vadas in medium heat till golden brown and crispy.
- Drain excess oil onto a paper towel. Serve hot.
Serving Methi Corn Vada
- These vadas can be served with evening tea along with some chutney (mint chutney or coconut chutney) or tomato sauce.
- It can also be served as a side dish with rice and sambar.
More Finger Food Recipes