- Submitted by Raji Ramakrishnan
Jump to recipe ↓
This item is prepared with vegetables viz. Red Pumpkin, White Pumpkin, Vellarikka, Snakegourd, Drumstick, Yam, Breadfruit, Green peas etc. Here I have used only yam and snakegourd. You can mix up all the vegetables or select combinations of two or three according to your choice.
Recipe For Molagootal
Preparation time - 20 minutes
Cooking time - 30-40 minutes
Serves - 3
- Yam (cubed) - 1 cup
- Snakegourd (finely cut) - 1 cup
- Moong dal - 1/2 cup
- Coconut (grated) - 1/2 cup ( I used desiccated coconut)
- Cumin Seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Urid Dal - 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder
- Green chillies - 1 or 2 (as per your choice)
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Urid Dal - 1 tsp
- Red Chilly - 1/2 (broken into pieces)
- Few curry leaves
- In a kadai, add 1 tsp oil. When it becomes hot, add the urid dal and red chilli and fry the same. Keep it aside.
- In the same kadai, add 3 cups of water. When it boils, add the washed moong dal, turmeric powder and cook for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes add the yam and snake gourd and cook till it is done by adding salt.
- Meanwhile, grind the fried urid dal, red chilli, coconut, cumin seed and keep ready.
- When the vegetables are cooked, add the ground paste and allow to boil. Adjust the salt.
- Switch off gas and season with the items mentioned for seasoning.
- This can be served hot with rice or chappati.
More Palakkad Recipes