- recipe by Raji Ramakrishnan submitted on 05-19-2012
This item is prepared with vegetables viz. Red Pumpkin, White Pumpkin, Vellarikka, Snakegourd, Drumstick, Yam, Breadfruit, Green peas etc. Here I have used only yam and snakegourd. You can mix up all the vegetables or select combinations of two or three according to your choice.
Yam (cubed) - 1 cup
Snakegourd (finely cut) - 1 cup
Moong dal - 1/2 cup
Coconut (grated) - 1/2 cup ( I used desiccated coconut)
Cumin Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Urid Dal - 2 tsp
Green chillies - 1 or 2 (as per your choice)
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Urid Dal - 1 tsp
Red Chilly - 1/2 (broken into pieces)
Few curry leaves
1. In a kadai, add 1 tsp oil. When it becomes hot, add the urid dal and red chilli and fry the same. Keep it aside.
2. In the same kadai, add 3 cups of water. When it boils, add the washed moong dal, turmeric powder and cook for 10 minutes.
3. After 10 minutes add the yam and snake gourd and cook till it is done by adding salt.
4. Meanwhile, grind the fried urid dal, red chilli, coconut, cumin seed and keep ready.
5. When the vegetables are cooked, add the ground paste and allow to boil. Adjust the salt.
6. Switch off gas and season with the items mentioned for seasoning.
This can be served hot with rice, chappati.
- 20 minutes
- 30-40 minutes