- recipe by Raji Ramakrishnan submitted on 05-17-2012
(Plantain Kheer, Nenthrapazham Payasam)
Nentrapazham (Plantain) is a favourite dish of Kerala. It is cut into two to three pieces and boiled with jaggery and served during onam sadya. Chips can be made with nenthran kaya (Raw Plantain). Pradhaman is my favourite kheer (payasam).
Nentranpazham (fully ripe) - 1
Jaggery - 3 tsp
Sugar - 1 tsp
coconut milk (First milk - thick milk) - 1 cup
Coconut pieces (cut)
Ghee - 1 tsp
Cahewnuts (optional) - 1 tsp
Cardamom powder - 1/4 tsp
1. Boil the nentranpazham with a cup of water.
2. When it is cooked fully, allow to cool. Grind to a smooth paste.
3. Add the jaggery and sugar in a kadai and melt. Strain the impurities.
4. Add the nentranpazham paste and boil it for 5-10 minutes.
5. Add the milk and remove from the gas. After adding the milk, you should not boil it.
6. Heat the ghee, fry the cahewnut and coconut pieces separately. Add it to the kheer. Add the cardamom powder and stir.
7. Serve hot or cold as you wish.
: 15 mts
: 30 minutes.