- Submitted by Dahlia on 19th Nov 2014
(Naadan Chicken Curry, Nadan Kozhi Curry, Kerala Style Chicken Curry, Country Chicken Curry)
Kerala Style Nadan Kozhi (Chicken) Curry is one of the basic chicken curry recipes from the country side in southern India. It is a very aromatic, spicy and bright looking curry mainly flavored with coconut bits, curry leaves and onions. There are many other curries like the one I've already shared - Chicken curry with coconut milk, Chicken curry with roasted coconut etc. However, this is the simplest of all with very few ingredients. It is perfect for bachelors as it does not require any grinding.
Recipe For Making Kerala Chicken Curry
- Chicken - 1 kg (cut into medium size pieces)
- Onion - 6 (sliced thinly)
- Ginger - 2" piece (crushed)
- Garlic - 1 bulb (crushed)
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds - 1/8 tsp
- Red chili Powder - 2 tbsp
- Coriander Powder - 2 tbsp
- Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tsp
- Crushed Whole Spices - 1" cinnamon, 2 cloves, 2 cardamom, 1 tsp Fennel seeds, 1/2 tsp Peppercorns (or use store bought chicken masala powder)
- Curry Leaves - 2 sprigs
- Coconut pieces - 2-3 tbsp
- Coconut oil - 3 tbsp
- Salt - as needed
- Heat the oil in a heavy bottomed pan and crackle the mustard seeds.
- Reduce the heat and add the fenugreek seeds. Fry for few seconds.
- Add the ginger, garlic, curry leaves and crushed whole spices. (Reserve a pinch to add at the end.)
- Cook for about half a minute.
- Add the sliced onions and saute. Add some salt to speed up the process.
- Saute on medium heat for 10-15 minutes till it become golden brown and pasty.
- Add the salt, turmeric powder, coriander powder and chili powder. Mix together and fry for few seconds to awaken the aroma of the spices.
- Add the chicken pieces and toss to coat with the spices.
- Cover and let it cook in its own juices for about 5 minutes.
- Add required amount of water. Cover and cook on medium heat for about 10 minutes.
- Add the coconut bits at this stage. Reduce the heat and cook covered for another 10 minutes till oil separates from the gravy.
- Finally add a pinch of the crushed spices and some fresh curry leaves.
- Switch off and keep covered till you are ready to serve.
Serving Nadan Chicken Curry
- Enjoy this simple, aromatic, tasty Kerala Style Chicken Curry with some ghee rice, white rice, coconut rice, pathiri or chapati.
More Chicken Recipes