- Submitted by Dahlia
(Kakdi Kheer, Vellarikkai Payasam, Cucumber Pudding)
Jump to recipe ↓
Whether it is South India or North India, one thing that forms part of any special occasion is "Kheer" or "Payasam". There are many payasam recipes that are being made these days with different ingredients like Mango Payasam, Guava Kheer, Banana Payasam etc.
Cucumber Kheer (Vellarikai Payasam) is a very light and refreshing payasam. It is not as rich (or I can say heavy) as the other traditional payasams. It can be enjoyed even after a heavy meal. So this summer, be sure to make this payasam and enjoy with your loved ones.
Recipe For Cucumber Kheer
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Serves: 6 - 8
- Cucumber pieces (Vallarikka, Kakdi) - about 2 cups
- Sago (Javarisi, Sabushana, Chowwary) - 1/4 cup
- Sweetened Condensed Milk - 1/4 cup
- Water - 2 cups
- Milk - 1 cup
- Sugar - 1/4 cup (or to taste)
- Cardamom Powder - 1 tsp
- Ghee - 2-3 tbsp
- Cashews - 2-3 tbsp (or use other nuts like pistachios, chiroli or almonds)
- Raisins - 2 tbsp (optional)
- Soak the sago in water for about half an hour.
- In the mean while, chop the cucumber into thin pieces.
- Take the soaked sago in a heavy bottomed pan. Fill it with sufficient water and cook it.
- When it is half cooked add the cucumber pieces and continue to cook till both the sago and cucumber pieces become soft.
- Now add the sugar and let it melt. Next add the condensed milk and milk.
- Simmer it for about 5 minutes or till you are satisfied with the consistency.
- Add the cardamom powder and switch off.
- Heat the ghee in another pan and fry the nuts and raisins. Add it to the payasam and cover with a lid until you are ready to serve.
Serving Cucumber Kheer
- Serve this very tasty and refreshing Cucumber Kheer (Vellarikai Payasam) warm. The best thing about this payasam is that it tastes equally delicious when chilled.
So, now the choice is yours. May be you can serve it warm during winter and serve it chilled during summers. Isn't it interesting??
More Payasam (Kheer) Recipes
More Cucumber Recipes