- Submitted by Raji Ramakrishnan
(Green Papaya Curry, Curry with Raw Papaya, Curry with Green Papaya)
Raw Papaya or Green Papaya is often used as a vegetable in India. It is used to prepare several curries, side dishes, salads etc. It is spposed to have more nutrients than the ripe ones.
Tday's recipe is one such curry made with Raw Papaya. It can be served with rice, aapam or chapathi. The curry is mild and flavoured with fresh coconut milk. The taste of the papaya pieces is enhanced without much spices overpowering this dish. Do try it and enjoy.
Recipe For Raw papaya Curry
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
- Raw Papaya (cubed) - 1 cup
- Coconut (grated) - 1/2 cup
- Onion (sliced) - 1
- Green Chillies - 2 or 3 (cut into 2)
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Ginger (Julienne) - 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds - ½ tsp
- Curry Leaves - few
- Oil - 2 tsp
- Salt - to taste
- Milk - 1/2 cup
- Fresh Cream (Heavy cream/ Double cream) - 3-4 tbsp
- Add little warm water to the grated coconut and extract the thick coconut milk. After extracting the milk, do not throw away the grated coconut.
- In a kadai, heat oil, add the mustard seeds and cumin seeds.
- When it splutters, add the green chillies, ginger, onion and curry leaves etc. Saute for few minutes.
- Add the papaya and saute for another five minutes.
- Add about 1.5 cups of water, turmeric powder and salt. Cook till the papaya becomes soft.
- Remove a ladle full of this cooked papaya and mix with the coconut and grind to a fine paste.
- Add the ground mixture to the curry. Boil it.
- Reduce the flame. Add the coconut milk, milk and the beaten cream to the gravy.
- Switch off when it is heated through. DO NOT BOIL after adding the above ingredients.
Serving Raw Papaya Curry
Some More Papaya Recipes