- Submitted by Raji Ramakrishnan on 31st Dec 2014
(Green Papaya Curry, Curry with Raw Papaya, Curry with Green Papaya)
- Raw Papaya (cubed) - 1 cup
- Coconut (grated) - 1/2 cup
- Onion (sliced) - 1
- Green Chilly - 2 or 3 (cut into 2)
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Ginger (Julienne) - 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds - ½ tsp
- Curry Leaves - few
- Oil - 2 tsp
- Salt - to taste
- Milk - 1/2 cup
- Fresh Cream (Heavy cream/Double cream) - 3-4 tbsp
- Add little warm water to the grated coconut and extract the thick coconut milk. After extracting the milk, do not throw away the grated coconut.
- In a kadai, heat oil, add the mustard seeds and cumin seeds.
- When it splutters, add the green chilly, ginger, onion and curry leaves etc. Saute for few minutes.
- Add the papaya and saute for another five minutes.
- Add about 1.5 cups of water, turmeric powder and salt. Cook till the papaya becomes soft.
- Remove a ladle full of this cooked papaya and mix with the coconut and grind to a fine paste.
- Add the ground mixture to the curry. Boil it.
- Reduce the flame. Add the coconut milk, milk and the beaten cream to the gravy.
- Switch off when it is heated through. DO NOT BOIL after adding the above ingredients.
Some More Papaya Recipes