- recipe by Raji Ramakrishnan submitted on 09-17-2012
(Ellu Kozhukattai, Tilachi Modak)
For the stuffing
¼ cup Black sesame seed
¼ cup Jaggery
¼ tsp Cardamom powder
1 tbsp Roasted peanuts
¼ tsp Ghee
1. Soak the sesame seeds in water for 20 minutes.
2. Wash and strain through a tea strainer to remove the water.
3. Heat kadai and directly put the seeds in it and roast it. Keep aside
4. When it becomes cool, put it in mixer and pulse it for a minute
5. Then add the jaggery and pulse it again till you get a nice powder out of it.
6. Add the ghee, roasted peanuts, cardamom powder and keep aside.
For the covering
Fresh rice flour - 1 cup
Water -1 cup
Oil – 2 tbs
Salt ¼ tsp
Normally people boil the water and then add the rice flour. But I make it in a different way. Here I would like to mention that the water requirement differs little bit as some rice absorbs more water and some don’t. Hence we have to see and then add the water. Keep a glass of hot water aside for emergency use.
I used to mix the rice flour in the normal water to avoid forming lumps. Then along with the oil and salt, keep on low flame and continuously stir it till you get a nice rice ball leaving the kadai.
To make the dumplings
1. Transfer the rice ball to a plate and keep covered for 10 minutes.
2. Later, apply some oil on your palm and knead the dough smoothly.
3. Then make small ball out of it and prepare the cover.
4. Fill the ellu poornam (sesame seeds stuffing) and make the dumplings.
5. Steam it for 5-7 minutes.
6. When it is cooked, allow to cool. Take out carefully with a spoon. Your prasad is ready.
Preparation time: 15-20 mts
Cooking time: 5-7 mts
Makes around 10-11 pcs