- Submitted by Dahlia
(North American Style Belgian waffle)
Waffle is a dish from the French cuisine. It has a pretty appearance that I totally love. The shape and size of the waffle depends on the type of waffle maker. There are many varieties of waffles, including ones served for breakfast and the ones served for dessert. Diffierent toppings are used including fresh fruits, whipped cream, various sauces, ice-cream etc.
Initially I used to buy ready made pancake/ waffle mix. Once I started making from scratch, I have never bought the packed one. So here I want to share my basic Waffle recipe. In India, it might be difficult to buy waffle makers in shops. So here I am sharing the amazon link of the waffle maker and the pancake syrup that I use. Those who need can purchase it.
Recipe For Waffle
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- All Purpose Flour (Maida) - 1 cup
- Whole Wheat Flour (Atta) - 1 cup
- Baking (Cooking) Soda - 1/2 tsp
- Baking Powder - 1 tsp
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Sugar - 3 tblsp
- Melted Butter/Oil - 1/2 cup
- Milk - 1.5 cup
- Vanilla Essence - 1 tsp
- Eggs - 3
- In a large bowl, combine all the dry ingredients together - all purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking soda, baking powder and sugar. Set it aside.
- In another small bowl, whisk together all the wet ingredients - milk, eggs, melted butter (or oil) and vanilla extract. Mix till it is well blended.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Stir it to combine but do not over-mix.
- Let it rest for 5 minutes. In the meantime, preheat the waffle iron.
- Pour a ladle full or the required amount of waffle batter. The amount of batter needed depends on the size of the waffle iron. You may use a cooking spray.
- Cook till the steam coming out of the waffle iron reduces. (or follow the manufacturers instructions and cook)
- When the waffle is golden brown, remove it onto a plate and enjoy.
- If you are making a big batch, keep the waffle in a 200 degree F preheated oven to keep it warm and crispy.
- Waffle is typically served with some maple syrup. You can also serve with honey, blueberry syrup, strawberry syrup or raspberry syrup.
- You can also top it with some berries or chopped fruits, whipped cream or ice cream.
- You can add some butter when the waffle is still warm and enjoy it plain or with some cooked chicken.
More American Recipes