- Submitted by Trupti
(Anarsa, Anarase, Aanarse, Hilsa, Maharastrian Biscuit)
Jump to recipe ↓
Anarse or hilsa is a sweet snack from Maharashtra. It is made during Diwali and other special occasions too. It is made with a dough of rice, jaggery, kas kas and ghee.
Recipe For Anarse
- Raw Rice – 1 cup
- Jaggery – ½ cup
- Ghee - 1 tsp
- Kas kas (Poppy Seeds) – ¼ cup
- Ripe Banana – 1
- Ghee/ Oil – for frying
- Rinse and soak 1 vati (cup) aged raw rice for 3 days. Make sure to change the water everyday.
- On the fourth day rinse out the water completely and dry on a clean cotton cloth under the fan (not in sun).
- When the rice is almost dry but still slightly dump, make peethi (powder) in a mixie jar.
- Pass it through a thin sieve or a cloth (if very very thin sieve is not available). Repeat the process of powdering the coarse rice again in mixie jar till completely fine rice powder is formed.
- Scrape the jaggery. Mix rice powder, scraped jaggery and 1 small spoon home made ghee.
- Mix to make a dough and store in air tight container for 10-15 days.
- Each day just remove the dough, mix properly and again store back. This undi can be stored for 6 months aaramse in air tight container. Only use dry hands for kneading.
- The day just before you want to make anarse, add a small piece of very ripe banana, it gives nice taste.
- Heat ghee/ oil in a small pan or kadai. Sprinkle kas kas in a plate.
- Take a big marble size dough and very slightly tap with finger to make small puri size. Press it on the kas kas.
- Add it gently to the hot ghee/ oil and fry on low flame. While frying kas kas side should be up. Also anarse should not be flipped.
- When you put small size dough, after frying it enlarges and gets nice jali (holes formed due to air bubbles).
- Be very careful while frying as the Anarse is very soft when they are in frying kadai/pan. Carefully remove and allow to strain all ghee from Anarse.
- As anarse gets cold, it becomes crunchy.
- Always fry 1 anarse at time and on low flame compulsorily. As it contains jaggery chances of getting it burnt is more.
More Diwali Snack Recipes