- Submitted by Dahlia
(Avicha Verkadalai, அவித்த வேர்க்கடலை, வேகவைத்த வேர்க்கடலையை, வேகவைத்த நிலக்கடலை)
Jump to recipe ↓
Verkadalai, also known as Groundnuts or Peanuts is fond in most parts of the world and is had in different forms. Roasted Peanuts, Boiled Peanuts, Masala Peanuts, Verkadalai Sundal, Kadalai Mittai etc. are some of the common snack items made with Peanuts.
Today, we’ll see the recipe of Boiled Peanuts also known locally in Tamilnadu as Avicha Verkadalai. It is a very addictive yet healthy snack. These days when many ready made snack options are easily available, such humble snacks like boiled peanuts are easily forgotten. My idea behind sharing this as a separate recipe is so that everyone will recollect their childhood memories and start making this more frequently at home. Slowly our kids will also start appreciating such healthy snack options. It is a fun snack to eat , kids will really enjoy braking open the shell to eat the peanuts inside.
Recipe For Boiled Peanuts
- Raw Peanuts with Shell – 1 padi (about 4 cups)
- Water – about 4 cups
- Salt – about 2 tsp
- Wash the peanuts thoroughly 4-5 times in tap water to remove all dirt stuck to it.
- Take the washed peanuts and water in a pressure cooker. Add salt.
- After adding salt, the water should be salty.
- Pressure cook on medium high flame for 4 whistles.
- Once the pressure releases, the boiled peanuts are ready to be served.
- You can enjoy this tasty avicha verkadali or boiled peanuts with a hot cup of tea.
More Peanut Recipes