- Submitted by Dahlia
(Murungaikkai Thokku, முருங்கைக்காய் தொக்கு, Moringa Fruit Thokku)
Jump to recipe ↓
Drumstick Thokku or Murungaikkai Thokku is a simple preparation that even beginners can make easily. It is spicy, tangy and full of flavour. Normally drumsticks are added to sambar or aviyal. During season, when drumstick is available in abundance, many other preparations are made using this very healthy vegetable.
I have added chopped drumsticks to prepare this. Some people cook the drumstick separately, scoop out the flesh and add to the thokku. This goes well with rice but it can also be enjoyed with chapatis.
Recipe For Drumstick Thokku
- Drumsticks – 2 (cut into 2” pieces)
- Onion – 1 (finely chopped)
- Garlic Cloves – 6 (chopped)
- Tomatoes – 1
- Tamarind – blueberry size (soaked in ¼ cup water)
- Turmeric Powder – ¼ tsp
- Red Chili Powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander Powder - 1 tsp
- Sesame Oil – 1 tbsp
- Mustard Seeds – ¼ tsp
- Asafoetida – ¼ tsp
- Curry Leaves – 1 sprig
- Heat oil in a kadai or heavy bottomed pan, splutter the mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- Add chopped onion, garlic cloves and asafoetida. Saute till it turns golden brown.
- Add chopped tomato and sate till it gets mashed up.
- Add chopped drumstick pieces, turmeric powder, red chili powder and coriander powder. Saute for a minute.
- Squeeze the tamarind juice and add to this. Do not add too much tamarind.
- Add required salt and some additional water if required.
- Cover and cook on medium flame for 10-15 minutes. By now the drumstick would have cooked and oil starts oozing from the edges.
- Switch off and serve with rice and some curry.
More Drumstick / Moringa Oleifera Recipes