- Submitted by Dahlia
(Ayurvedha Tea, Chemburathi Tea, செம்பருத்தி தேநீர், Chembarathi Chaya, ചെമ്പരത്തി ചായ)
Jump to recipe ↓
Hibiscus Tea is a traditional beverage made in India, especially in Kerala where this tree is found in almost every home. It is also known as Karkade Tea or Jamaica Tea. It is refreshing and is served both hot or cold. This tea is recommended by Ayurveda because of its many health benefits.
Hibiscus tea is traditionally made with fresh flowers of the red variety of hibiscus. I haven’t heard of anyone making from the other coloured ones. These days dried hibiscus flowers are available in herbal shops, super markets etc. Also hibiscus tea is also available ready made.
Hibiscus tea has many health benefits like controlling the blood pressure, sugar level, boosting immunity, aids weight loss etc. It is also high in anti-oxidants and has anti-cancer properties. However, it also has some side effects. It should not be consumed by people with low blood pressure, children, lactating mothers or pregnant women. So if you plan to have this regularly, please check if there are any side effects or consult an Ayurvedic doctor. So I would suggest to have this occasionally and enjoy its benefits.
Recipe For Hibiscus Tea
Preparation Time : 12 minutes
Cooking Time: 3 minutes
- Hibiscus Flowers – 10
- Water – 3 cups
- Lemon - 1/2
- Honey – to taste
- Take each hibiscus flower, remove the green part. Separate each petal and discard the middle stem.
- Take these petals in a strainer and show it under tap water to give a quick rinse.
- Take the water in a sauce pan and bring it to a boil.
- Add the petals to this and switch off. Keep it covered with a lid for 10-12 minutes.
- The flowers will steep in the hot water releasing all its colour and flavour.
- Strain the liquid. At this stage the tea will have a deep red colour.
- Add some lemon juice and honey to taste. You can see the colour of the tea changing to crimson red. Enjoy.
Hibiscus tea after adding lemon juice
- This tea can be served hot or cold with ice cubes.
More Herbal Drink Recipes