-Submitted by Trupti
(Tandlachi Ukad, Ukadpindi)
Jump to recipe ↓
Ukad is a traditional breakfast from Maharashtra. Within Maharashtra itself it has many names and the flour used also change according to season. It's made with rice flour, wheat flour and gram flour. Ukad is a healthy, easy to digest breakfast dish that keeps your stomach full for long.
Recipe For Tandalachi Ukad
- Pithi (Rice flour) - 1 big cup
- Thin Khatta Tak (Sour Buttermilk) - 2 big cups
- Fresh garlic pod crushed - 7-8
- Kadipatta (Curry Leaves) - 1 string
- Green chilies - 5-6
- Jeera (Cumin seeds) - 1/2 tsp
- Mustard seeds (Rai) - 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida (Hing) - 1/4 tsp
- Turmeric powder (Haldi) - 1/4 tsp
- Oil - 4-5 tbsp
- Salt and sugar to taste
- Coriander and fresh scrapped coconut for garnish
- Take a heavy bottom vessel. Heat 2-3 tbsp oil.
- Make tadka of mustard seeds, cumin seeds, asafoetida, curry leaves, green chilies and crushed garlic pods. Wait till the raw garlic odour disappears and it turns golden brown.
- Now put Taak (sour buttermilk) and give a good stir. Add sugar and salt, allow taak to boil.
- Simmer the gas stove and start adding rice pithi (flour). You need to be very quick in stirring as pithi starts forming lumps and we don’t want lumps to happen.
- Cover the Ukad and let it cook for 2-3 minutes on low flame.
- Add the remaining oil , stir again, cover it again to cook for 1-2 minutes.
- While serving piping hot, garnish with fresh scrapped coconut and finely chopped fresh coriander leaves.
- This can also be made with wheat flour or besan.
More Maharashtra Recipes