- Submitted by Dahlia
(Poached Egg Curry, உடைத்து ஊற்றிய முட்டை குழம்பு)
Jump to recipe ↓
Usually when you hear of Egg Curry you think of boiled eggs floating in a spicy gravy. In South India there are many other versions of egg curry that is made – using steamed eggs, poached eggs, omelette etc. I will share them one by one.
Udaitha Muttai Kulambu is a variation of egg curry where the raw eggs are broken directly into the simmering curry. The eggs are poached in the gravy. Little bits of egg is found all over the curry making it super tasty. It is a perfect combo with hot white rice, chapati, aapam, parotta or idiyappam.
Recipe For Udaitha Muttai Kulambu
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
- Eggs – 4
- Onion – 1 big (finely chopped)
- Ginger Garlic paste – 1 tsp
- Green Chilies - 2
- Red Chili powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder – ½ tsp
- Coriander leaves – for garnish
- Salt – to taste
- Small Onions – 3 or 4
- Tomato – 1 chopped roughly
- Coconut – 1/2 cup
- Fennel seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Oil – 3 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves – few
- Grind all the ingredients under ‘For Masala’ to a smooth paste with some water.
- Heat oil in a kadai, temper with mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- Add finely chopped onion and saute for 2-3 minutes till it becomes golden brown.
- Add ginger-garlic paste, slit green chilies and turmeric powder. Saute for a minute.
- Add red chili powder, coriander powder and the ground masala paste. Mix together and cook for couple of minutes.
- Add about 2 cups of water and required salt. Bring to a boil.
- Once it boils, reduce the flame to simmer and break open the eggs and drop into the gravy.
- Leave it undisturbed for the next 5-7 minutes. Cover with a lid and simmer.
- Once the eggs are cooked firm, add garam masala and finely chopped coriander leaves. Mix together and switch off. Tasty egg curry is ready to serve.
More Egg Recipes