- submitted by Dahlia on 03-18-2010
(Flour Tortilla, Wheat Tortilla, Corn Tortilla, Maida Chappatti)
is Mexican flat bread made with corn , wheat or all purpose flour. It is similar to Indian Chapattis
. It is used in a variety of Mexican and American dishes like soups, wraps etc.
Ingredients (For flour tortilla)
All Purpose Flour (Maida) - 2 cups
Salt - 1 tsp
Oil/Butter/Shortening - 4 Tblsp (Vegetable oil)
Warm water - 1/2 cup (app.)
1.Mix the flour, salt and oil together till all the flour is coated with oil.
2. Add the warm water and mix to form smooth dough. Knead the dough for 5-10 min to make it soft and pliable.
3. Cover the dough ball with a moist kitchen towel and let it rest for at least 15 minutes.
4. Knead the dough again and make lemon sized balls.
5. Dip each ball into dry flour and roll out into a 7-9" tortilla using a rolling pin. Use some more dry flour to avoid the tortilla from sticking. (You can also use a tortilla press or tortilla maker to roll out)
6. Place a griddle on the stove at medium-high heat. When the griddle is hot, put the rolled out tortilla on it.
7. Cook till small brown spots appear. Flip over and cook the other side too.
8. Use the tortillas to make burritos
, tacos, chimichanga
, tortilla chips, quesadilla
, tortilla soup and many more Mexican dishes.
- You can use whole wheat flour instead of all purpose flour to make wheat tortillas. Similarly, to make corn tortillas use MASA.