- submitted by Dahlia on 07-31-2008
Qusesadilla is a mexican dish which is nothing but a toasted tortilla with melted cheese inside. "Queso" means "little cheesy" in Spanish. In addition to cheese, you can put practically stuff anything in a quesadilla. You can add onions, mushrooms, tomatoes, any vegetables, meat, paneer, scrambled egg, guacomole, shrimp, olives etc. The ingredients can be sauteed before stuffing or can be added without cooking. It purely depends on individual taste. You can make it pure vegetarian or even a combo. You can even add some spices to suit to your taste. You can have it as a meal or cut it into sclices and have as a snack with ketchup. Here is a general recipe.
Large Flour Tortillas
Grated cheese - (I have used cheddar cheese)
Stuffings of your choice - (Sliced mushrooms, Green onions, Black olives, sliced tomatoes, diced Chicken pieces,
avocado, cabbage, onions, paneer,scrambled egg, shrimp etc.)
Salt - to taste
Pepper and garam masala - to season the stuffing
1. Saute all the stuffing ingredients of your choice with little salt, peppr and garam masala and keep aside. You can even use without sauteeing.
2. Heat a large frying pan/griddle to medium high heat. Add 1/2 tsp of oil/butter and spread it.
3. Place a tortilla in the pan. Flip the tortilla over a few times until it is nicely warmed and small bubbles are formed.
4.Take a handful of grated cheese and sprinkle over the top of the tortilla.at the cheese does not land on the pan itself.
5.Add little of the sauteed mixture (about 2 tblsp) over the cheese.
6. Put some more cheese on top and top it with another tortilla.
7. Reduce the heat to low and cover the pan. After a minute flip and leave it for another minute or so until the cheese melts inside and the tortillas are nicely browned.
8. Remove from pan and cut into wedges. Serve with some iceberg lettuce, salsa, sour cream, ketchup or guacamole.
Prepare all the stuffing ingredients
Take a tortilla and top with cheese
To with veggies and meat
Top with more cheese
Cover with the 2nd tortilla
Brown both the sides till the cheese inside melts
Cut into wedges and serve
Method 2 : Place the stuffing on one side of the tortilla
Fold over the tortilla into half and grill it