- Submitted by Elizabeth
Masala Dosa is originally from Udipi and is geneally made by stuffing dosa with potato masala. The thin paper dosa forms a wrap around the masala which is then had with chutney and sambhar.
There are many variations of masala dosa in different places like Mushroom dosa, Cauliflower dosa, Peas masala dosa, Paneer masala dosa, Chicken masala dosa, Onion masala dosa (with fried onions), Soya masala dosa, Mysore masala dosa (red chutney is applied in the inner surface of the dosa) etc. Whatever be the case, a thick masala is prepared with the respective ingredient and is stuffed inside the dosa.
Recipe For Masala Dosa
For The Dosa
For The Masala
- Potatoes - 3
- Onion - 1
- Green chilies - 3 or 4
- Curry Leaves - 1 strand
- Cilantro - handful
- Mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp
- Chana dal - 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 spoon
- Green Peas - 1/4 cup (optional)
- Close the other side
Making The Potato Masala
- Boil the potatoes and mash them coarsely.
- In a kadai heat little oil, temper the mustard seeds and chana Dal.
- Add curry leaves, slitted green chillies and sliced onion. Saute it until the onion is transparent.Add turmeric to it.Add 1/2 a cup of water and salt to taste,let it boil.
- Add the mashed potatoes and green peas to the mixture. Let it cook together for 2 minutes, sprinkle some chopped cilantro on top.
Making The Masala Dosa
- Pour a spoonful of batter on a hot dosa griddle. Immediately spread it using the back of the spoon using concentric circular motion.
- Add few drops of oil/ghee/butter on top.
- Once the first side is cooked, you can flip the dosa or let it cook as it is.
- Once the dosa is completely cooked add the masala in the center as shown.
- Cover the masala with the dosa as shown in the picture.
- Serve with hot sambhar and chutney varieties.
Make a dosa.
Put some masala in the center.
Fold one side of the dosa to cover the masala.
Fold over the other side.
More Dosa Recipes