- Submitted by Dahlia
(Chili with Meat, Three Bean Chili, Beef chili, Chicken chili)
Jump to recipe ↓
Chili Con Carne otherwise called just as Chili in USA (three bean chili, beef chili, chicken chili) is spicy Mexican stew with ground meat, beans, tomatoes, chili pepper and other spices.
Recipe For Chili
- Ground Meat - 0.5 lb (1/4 Kg) (NOTE: You can use meat of your choice like turkey, beef, pork or chicken. You could also skip the meat to make it completely vegetarian)
- Kidney Beans - handful (about 1/4 cup)
- Black Beans - handful (about 1/4 cup)
- Pinto Beans - handful (about 1/4 cup)
- Corn Kernels - handful (fresh or frozen)
- Onion - 1 (chopped)
- Garlic - 5 cloves (minced)
- Tomato - 2 (diced)
- Crushed/Pureed tomato - 1/4 cup
- Jalapeno (or green chili) - to taste (I added 1)
- Cilantro - handful (chopped)
- Vegetables of your choice - about 1 cup (I've added 1 carrot, 1 stalk of celery, 2-3 button mushrooms and half a zucchini. You could also add other vegetables like bell peppers,)
- Cumin Powder - 2 tsp
- Chilly Powder - 1 tsp
- Paprika - 1 tsp
- Pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Oregano - 1/2 tsp
- Broth (chicken/vegetable) - 1 cup
- Olive oil - 2 tblsp
- Salt - as needed
- Water - about 3 cups
- Wash and soak all the beans for 6-8 hours or overnight.
- Pressure cook the beans with enough water and salt.
- You could skip step 1 if you are using canned beans.
- Heat oil in a pan, saute the onions and garlic cloves.
- Add the ground meat and fry for few minutes. The ground meat cooks very quickly.
- Add all the chopped vegetables and chopped tomatoes. Mix together.
- Add the cumin powder, chilly powder, paprika, salt, oregano and pepper powder.
- Mix it and you will get a nice aroma of the spices. Next add finely chopped cilantro and jalapenos.
- Add the crushed tomato, broth and the water used to cook the beans. Add more water if needed.
- Cover and let it come to a boil.
- Next add the cooked beans and corn kernels. Bring it to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and let it simmer for 20-30 minutes. The vegetables will be cooked, the chili will become thicker and the whole house will be filled with its aroma.
- Switch off and serve it piping hot with toppings of your choice. Toppings may include crushed tortilla chips, shredded cheese, sour cream etc.
More Mexican Recipes