- Submitted by Raji Ramakrishnan
(Chutney With Pumpkin, Poosanikai Chutney, Mathanga Chutney)
Red Pumpkin Chutney, a quick chutney made with red pumpkin that can be had with white steaming rice.
Recipe For Red Pumpkin Chutney
- Red pumpkin (grated along with the tender part after removing the seeds) - 1 cup
- Green chilli - 1
- Red chilli - 1
- Coriander leaves (Cilantro) - handful
- Mint (pudina) leaves - leaves of two twigs or 24 leaves
- oil - 3 tsp
- salt - to taste
- Ginger - a small piece
- Tamarind - a small piece
- Garlic - 3 small
- Onion medium sized - 1
- Grated coconut (optional) - 3 tsp
- Take a kadai and pour oil in it. When it is hot put the red chilli and fry, remove and keep aside.
- In the same oil, add the chopped onions, saute for two minutes,
- Add the grated pumpkin, green chilli, tamarind piece in it. Saute again till it becomes soft/cooked.
- Switch off the gas. Add the garlic, ginger, coconut, pudina leaves, salt.
- Grind to a smooth chutney by adding water. This can be had with anything like dal rice, curd rice, chappati, wada, pattice etc.
- I prefer to eat with hot rice, two tsp gingelly oil in it and the chutney mixed in it. It is a lovely combination.
- Fry two tsp urid dal, red chilli, add the pumpkin and saute till it becomes soft. Add tamarind piece, coconut, salt and grind to a smooth chutney.
More Pumpkin Recipes